where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
zakie
R & D,
Malaysian Nuclear Agency, Malaysia, Joined Nov 2007, 8

zakie

R & D,
Malaysian Nuclear Agency,
Malaysia,
Joined Nov 2007
02:37 Mar-20-2009
procedure or code for Thermography

There was a statement said, " thermography has a lot of possibilties in term of its application but most of them are very tricky".. how far this statement is true? anyone are welcome to comment!!
And talking about procedure or code of thermography, unlike conventional NDT method (UT, RT, ET etc) these methods already have their own, but when come to IR thermography, it only has a few guideline (not procedure or code). My question is why this situation happens? in fact, this method had been introduced such a very long time ago, probably since 1980s!!

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
01:53 Mar-21-2009
Re: procedure or code for Thermography
In Reply to zakie at 02:37 Mar-20-2009 (Opening).

Dear Zaki,

That is not a long time compared to other NDT methods like ET, UT etc. and now some specifications and standards are coming up. If you need specific help, I can refer you to some experts in this field in India. I have not worked personally with Thermography though I am aware of its potential.

Regards.

Swamy

John O'Brien
Consultant, -
Chevron ETC , USA, Joined Jan 2000, 280

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
20:26 Mar-21-2009
In Reply to zakie at 02:37 Mar-20-2009 (Opening).

Thermography is one of those techniques that falls into a grey area between NDE and PdM/Condition Monitoring. There is a huge number of applications widely documented and procedurized. The issue is that for many applications you may need to look beyond the NDE world.
Look at the ASNT Catalogs to get a starting point, PCN has an IR scheme but its in the Condition Monitoring Committee. Try some of the Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering Journals. Then look at proceedings of annual confereances such as Inframation.

aldo
Engineering
Italy, Joined Jan 2009, 39

aldo

Engineering
Italy,
Joined Jan 2009
18:55 Mar-27-2009
In Reply to John O'Brien at 20:26 Mar-21-2009 .

I found very interting this discussion and on this matter and i need some information on this technique. Are there techical books or scentific article also on internet speaking on this technique? I need this information because the goal of my plane is to apply this techique over coating stator blade for to check flaws and other discontinuity such as cracks, porosity,ecc.
Tanks for your attention
aldo

RVI man
Director
United Kingdom, Joined Mar 2008, 25

RVI man

Director
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2008
18:27 Mar-30-2009
In Reply to aldo at 18:55 Mar-27-2009 .

Please visit www.flir.com and drop them a line - one of their technical team will be happy to advise you on this application which is quite well developed already.

zakie
R & D,

zakie

R & D,
Malaysia,
Joined Nov 2007
03:35 Mar-31-2009
In Reply to aldo at 18:55 Mar-27-2009 .

This is one of the reason why I raised up this subject matter..
Forget a little while about IR for predictive maintenance coz it is only give you qualitative data, the intention is only to find out the hot spot.. Now we are talking about IR for NDE/ NDT (some people call it as Thermal NDT). I'm not denying that there is a lot of procedures mention in some journals or proceeding (from Maldague, Vavilov, Swiderki etc), however they are not stadardise or in a simple word they are quite different in each other. Same intention/ purpose/ objective but different way of methodology. Moreover, it is quite difficult for people to access it (eg. fee for subscription). The issue here is why scientist/ researchers or people is this area do not compile all these procedures or method in one book ( technical book or we might call it as standard procedures for IRT), just like what they did for UT, ET etc, therefore it will be more easy for people who are interested on IRT to get/ find or achieve any info about this advance NDT technique!!

David Forsyth
R & D
TRI/Austin, USA, Joined Nov 2001, 41

David Forsyth

R & D
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001
20:10 Mar-31-2009
In Reply to zakie at 03:35 Mar-31-2009 .

I agree guidelines/codes are important. Be aware that ASTM committee E07 subcommittee 10 is working on some of these issues you mention. There is, for example, ASTM E2582 - 07 Standard Practice for Infrared Flash Thermography of Composite Panels and Repair Patches Used in Aerospace Applications. The committee is working on ASTM WK8211 - New Standard Guide for Nondestructive Testing of Polymer Matrix Composites Used in Aerospace Applications which will likely include some thermography.

I do not know what is going on in EN or ISO.

Regards, Dave.

zakie
R & D,

zakie

R & D,
Malaysia,
Joined Nov 2007
06:55 Apr-01-2009
In Reply to David Forsyth at 20:10 Mar-31-2009 .

Thank you very much for this information.. At least something good is going on and IRT (Thermal NDT) is on its track..

Product Spotlight

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window