where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

NT - Nove technologie s.r.o.
Ultrasonic gel for NDT application. Various types of ultrasonic agents. Starsonic SS2, SS3

Career Discussions
Dave B.
Dave B.
01:00 Apr-09-2009
Need some career advice please

Hi folks.

I've been an engineer for 10 years now and in the present climate, i'm looking for a career change. Last year my company paid for me to attain my pcn level 2 in MT. This is something that interests me so i'm thinking about taking it further (on my own expense). I've tried doing a bit of research on this site and others as to the best course of action so i was wondering if you had any advice as to what certificates would be best for my job prospects (UT, RT, eddy current?) I'm not adverse to the idea of working offshore either. Obviously i'd need the offshore training and medical but what other ndt techniques would be most sought after? Sorry if i'm rambling a bit, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Phil
NDT Inspector, Radiation Safety
BINDT, MIAQP, United Kingdom, Joined Mar 2009, 151

Phil

BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
01:23 Apr-09-2009
Re: Need some career advice please
In Reply to Dave B. at 01:00 Apr-09-2009 (Opening).

Dave, as I have posted earlier on advice for courses seems to be a lot of work for UT, MT, PT, qualifications but to get UT and PT PCN you would have to go through level 1, gain the required experience then level 2 plus the courses of course, but also seems to be work for tofd and AUT as well so really it would be up to you which way you went. Best of luck, and hope this has helped a little.
Regards,
Phil

Dave B.
Dave B.
01:31 Apr-09-2009
In Reply to Phil at 01:23 Apr-09-2009 .

Thanks for the response Phil.

Is rope access a requirement for most ndt jobs? I wondered if this was really necessary.

Thanks

Phil

Phil

BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
19:41 Apr-09-2009
In Reply to Dave B. at 01:31 Apr-09-2009 .

Dave,
Rope access is becoming a requirement now if you want to work offshore. Not all offshore work but most. So really it is up to you. So things are now as clear as mud !! Hope it helped a litttle.

Phil

Phil

Phil

BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
13:57 Apr-12-2009
In Reply to Phil at 19:41 Apr-09-2009 .

Dave,
One more thing I forgot to add is that now employers are asking for qualifications which in most cases are way over the top for the job required, but you will find that out for yourself in the future. Also the employers forget that if you are getting all the qualifications they want you to have you would not have the time to work and gain the experience they also require. Not meant to put you off just a fact of life.

Regards,

Phil

Product Spotlight

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

High Resolution Industrial CT System for Small/Medium Size Parts Inspection - YXLON FF35 CT

The YXLON FF35 CT computed tomography system is designed to achieve extremely precise inspection r
esults for a wide range of applications. Available in a single or dual tube configuration, it is perfect for very small to medium size parts inspection in the automotive, electronics, aviation, and material science industries.
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window