where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TecScan Systems
We offer a complete line of NDT scanners, Immersion Tanks & Gantry systems which incorporate Ultrasonic, Phased Array & Eddy Current technologies.
Technical Discussions
anjafo
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
11:25 Oct-28-2009
ndt of cladding

Hi,
I have some experience with this. Usually the cladding has been used to build up a seal face before machining.

After machining we perform MPI or DPI checking for defects. Here we almost always find indications in the bond/fusion area between parent material and new cladding material. Both methods show indications. Usually a light machining will remove the indication but generally as its a seal area and been machined down this is not welcome by customer. You can actually see the fused line very well after machining.

Does anyone have experience on what is causing these indications?

Its an expensive process, welding, machining, checking etc so its difficult to just tell customers there is an rejectable indication and leave. Also difficult to leave indications in the item unidentified.

I have also done UT to check fusion between parent and weld materials sometimes but the item needs to be correct geometry for this.

I know wall thickness can be checked by different methods also.

Phil
NDT Inspector, Radiation Safety
BINDT, MIAQP, United Kingdom, Joined Mar 2009, 151

Phil

NDT Inspector, Radiation Safety
BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
20:33 Nov-01-2009
Re: ndt of cladding
In Reply to anjafo at 11:25 Oct-28-2009 (Opening).

Hi Anjafo,

I have also done some work on what you call cladding, we have called Buttering, I am sure it is know by other names, I have done MT and PT, on it.

I would say lack of cleaning between runs, would leave slag behind and as so ypur indication

Regards,

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 851

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
22:02 Nov-03-2009
In Reply to anjafo at 11:25 Oct-28-2009 (Opening).

Anjafo,

Were I used to work, we did this on Steam Generators tube sheets. We did sometimes have problems and it was always related to the welding process. But we didn't experience the type of defect that you are experiencing. I suggest maybe to have your welding engineer review the procedure and change some of the parameters such a rate of deposit and your amperage.

anjafo79
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo79

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
11:01 Nov-04-2009
In Reply to Michel Couture at 22:02 Nov-03-2009 .

I am going to try get a picture of the next one we test. Will take a little time though.

Problem is indication appears with DPI also.

Product Spotlight

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

TraiNDE UT

TraiNDE UT is a virtual tool associated with a signal database which simulates real inspection con
ditions for numerous applications (Type A/V1 block, DAC block, welds and plates).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window