where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonotron NDT
Original developer and manufacturer of advanced ultrasonic instruments
Technical Discussions
Creed
NDT Inspector,
n.n., Joined Jul 2009, 31

Creed

NDT Inspector,
n.n.,
Joined Jul 2009
10:47 Mar-09-2010
Certificate for Phased Array / TOFD / MFL

Dear,
I would like to use Phased Array / TOFD / MLF inspection. So that what kind of certificate i need to have to carry out the inspection for each method? Please advise me.

André Ribeiro
André Ribeiro
19:20 Mar-09-2010
Re: Certificate for Phased Array / TOFD / MFL
In Reply to Creed at 10:47 Mar-09-2010 (Opening).

I do believe that PCN certification, that is carried on UK is the most widely accepted.

After I finalize my level 2 certification on ABENDI, this will be my next move.

Good luck.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1282

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
22:49 Mar-09-2010
In Reply to André Ribeiro at 19:20 Mar-09-2010 .

Creed...the certification "required" is usually dictated by the client or regulating body used for the work. At the moment no ASNT TC-1A descriptions are available for these.
CSWIP has a full certification programme for TOFD and phased-array inspections of welds. It also has a certification for MFL in some applications.
See http://www.cswip.com/pdfs/cswip_dS_16_06_1st_edition.pdf
and
http://www.cswip.com/categories/non_destructive_testing.jsp

Jan Verkooijen
Director,
Sonovation, Netherlands, Joined Nov 1998, 29

Jan Verkooijen

Director,
Sonovation,
Netherlands,
Joined Nov 1998
11:22 Mar-12-2010

We do a full Advanced UT Training for TOFD and PA, under ASNT and EN 473 (SKO and PCN approved). You can find our training course schedule on our website under training, downloads.

Our TOFD training course calender:
http://www.sonovation.com/webinabox/wiab337.nsf/62144C6B87BDAE55C125767E002AA54D/$file/TOFD%20training%20course%20calender%202010%20rev1.pdf
Our PA training course calender:
http://www.sonovation.com/webinabox/wiab337.nsf/7EAA34CA69D2B978C1257666003AC271/$file/Phased%20Array%20training%20course%20calender%202010%20rev0.pdf

Good luck!

Jan Verkooijen

Jon Wallis
NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands, Joined Feb 2010, 626

Jon Wallis

NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands,
Joined Feb 2010
13:01 Mar-12-2010

Creed,
Ed is correct, the required certification is something that would be demanded by your client or Notified Body or maybe even your companies own Written Practise.

Having said that, there are certain basic principles involved here that would definately apply in Europe and North America and probably also in your part of the world.You cannot apply inspection methods such as Phased Array and ToFD without first having been trained in ultrasonics to an acceptable level in the basic principles and having gained experience in using ultrasonics in the field. Once you have been adequately trained and have obtained the necessary experience, then you can progress to up-market inspection methods. A quick check of 2 well known training institutes in the UK showed - as I believe it should be - that candidates for their ToFD courses have to already be qualified to level 2 in UT, I'm sure that this would also be the case at Sonovation.

Product Spotlight

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window