where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Faran Hussain
Engineering
FFC Pakistan, Pakistan, Joined May 2005, 17

Faran Hussain

Engineering
FFC Pakistan,
Pakistan,
Joined May 2005
14:18 Jul-27-2010
UFD equipment

I have to select b/w krautkramer USN58L & USM35X for use at our fertilizer plant. how is USN58L superior than USM35x or is it not?
We are using DT 2000 & FTS mark-I at the time.
Anyinputs regarding the same are highly appreciated.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 523

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
15:11 Jul-27-2010
Re: UFD equipment
In Reply to Faran Hussain at 14:18 Jul-27-2010 (Opening).

Hopefully you have a wider choice than that. I would hope that you have considered equipment from several manufacturers. Of course we at Sonatest know that our equipment is the best, and other suppliers are deluded enough to think similarly. ...

Points to consider when selecting a Piece of equipment:

1. What do you need? Look at the Inspections you expect to carry out, will the different pieces of equipment handle them OK. There is no point in buying capabilities you will never use.

2. Are there any special issues? For example, in any chemical plant having equipment that can be easily cleaned is often an issue

3. Are your operators sufficiently expert to use the different equipment? High end equipment may be more difficult to use. Make sure you are comfortable with the set.

4. Do you have good local support? The less you know, the more important it is that your local distributor is knowledgeable and reliable. A good distributor should be able to demonstrate, the different options and explain why they are relevant, and we are lucky enough to work in a business where very few dealers will sell you equipment you don't need.

Of course both of the pieces of equipment you mention are good sets. (It wouldn't do for it to be too easy for us to compete) work through the specification sheets of this and other equipment and decide how it will work for you. decide which feature you need, and which you want. Don't worry too much about the price until you have got to that stage.

Good luck

Joe

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
15:49 Jul-27-2010
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 15:11 Jul-27-2010 .

I fully agree with Joe Buckley. Brand and reputation are of course important but the features and the end use should come first. Many times there is a tendency to "buy the best" and while that is a laudable aim, what is the best differs from person to person and situation to situation.

Go for a good, sturdy, reliable, user friendly instrument with good maintenance support. If the unit is going to be carried to heights over staircases, it would be a good idea to go for a lightweight unit that has a long working life with battery power. Similarly if you need to work during the bright day light, visibility of the signals on the screen would be very important!

In my earlier organization, we have worked with almost all the leading brands (ours being a very large organization, we needed many units for different plants). Each unit has its own plus and minus features.

Try out the demo units if possible and then decide.

Feel free to ask for more specific advice.

Regards

S.V.Swamy
Quality Consultant

Dave Utrata
R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University, USA, Joined Feb 2000, 37

Dave Utrata

R & D,
Center for NDE, Iowa State University,
USA,
Joined Feb 2000
17:04 Jul-27-2010
In Reply to S.V.Swamy at 15:49 Jul-27-2010 .

I would like to add yet another perspective to the discussion.

My experience with various UT devices is affected by:
- my ability to fully understand and navigate within the menus of the device, some of which I find friendly and intuitive while others always seem a struggle
- considering the working conditions and how readable the display will be to me in the lab/shop/outdoor light
- whether I will have carry the device in an awkward manner; being left handed this may present a surprising challenge

These observations are offered in agreement with the previous comments, as should be seen. It's that menu thing that personally makes me pause every time I pick up certain devices and try to remember how the thing functioned!

Sincerely,
Dave

andrew cunningham
NDT Inspector
Canada, Joined Jun 2008, 238

andrew cunningham

NDT Inspector
Canada,
Joined Jun 2008
21:37 Jul-27-2010

I have just purchased a Rigor RFD 2000 and so far it has been very reliable. It is simple to use and has loads of features that are included in the basic price that you would pay extra for on a brand name unit. The only weak point of the flaw detector is the manual.

Jon Wallis
NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands, Joined Feb 2010, 626

Jon Wallis

NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands,
Joined Feb 2010
21:39 Jul-27-2010
In Reply to Dave Utrata at 17:04 Jul-27-2010 .

I agree entirely with your comments Dave, (I am also cack-handed). It seems to me a total mystery why the manufacturers of modern electronic equipment, with a few exceptions, cannot make them user-friendly.
In the olden days when UT sets were analogue, they managed to do pretty much the same job - except for making some mathematic calculations, which in my opinion are not always reliable - using only 5 or 6 knobs. Now we have a headache producing array of wizz-bang menus, primary and secondary, we have had to learn a new vocabulary of terms and......
It's it bit off the thread's subject but Dave's ideas got me going. I am not a luddite, I do actually think that digital UT kit is an improvement on the old, heavy, water sensitive, impossible to read in the sun, analogue sets but please Sonatest, GE, and the rest, think of the poor operator in the field. What's wrong with touch screen symbols like they use in GPS navigation systems? They work fine and are really easy to learn, even for an adult.

Roger Duwe
NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS, USA, Joined Jan 2009, 148

Roger Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
22:07 Jul-27-2010
In Reply to Jon Wallis at 21:39 Jul-27-2010 .

Mr. Hussain, I have used the USN 58 & 60, and 'own' a USM 35X. Other than form-factor [boxy vs. kind of boxy], there is no significant difference in these machines. I alos have used and liked the Panametrics Epoch IV, but the software is MUCH different than the GE-Krautkramer software. It takes a day or so to get used to the transition from one to the other. I have a slight preference for the USM-35X, with the USN-60 second. Am happy with any of the 4 above, IF they are capable of DAC and TVG/TCG. Haven't used a Sonotest top-of-the-line machine, so I have no opinion on those.

Get a machine that will auto-calibrate, do DAC curves and allow adjusting of DAC curves without starting over, and can convert a DAC to TCG/TVG. Then invest in a very good IIW calibration block. With poor calibration, the best digital machine is 'sloppier' than an old analog machine.

faran hussain
Engineering
FFC Pakistan, Pakistan, Joined May 2005, 17

faran hussain

Engineering
FFC Pakistan,
Pakistan,
Joined May 2005
06:05 Jul-28-2010
In Reply to Roger Duwe at 22:07 Jul-27-2010 .

Thanx to all, shared info would definetly help me get steps closer to buying the UFD equipment best suitable for our use. I should better go thru the spec sheets, and also give a look to sonatest equipment. i hope they have a local sales representative in pakistan.

William Newark
Engineering,
USA, Joined Jun 2011, 1

William Newark

Engineering,
USA,
Joined Jun 2011
06:55 Jun-03-2011
In Reply to andrew cunningham at 21:37 Jul-27-2010 .

Ha, I thought I am the only person here to use RFD. I second Andrew, their UFD-2000 is really good. I just find they have UFD1000 and 3000 recently, not clear about the difference.

coolguy
coolguy
14:57 Jun-06-2011

Download

Download

Hello Farhan,

You can also get a demo for Olympus(Panametrics) make flaw detectors which are more equivalent to Krautkramer and Sonatest.
You may contact the following. You can have a demo for the model called Epoch 1000i which has got basic phased array at a lower cost. It will be useful for you also to know about phased array

Western Technologies Pvt Ltd.

69-C, Ghaus-ul-Azam Road
Lahore,
Pakistan

Product Spotlight

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window