where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Dik de Groot
Dik de Groot
05:43 Oct-14-1998
mpi NDT

In either Insight or Materials Evaluation in the time frame of 1996-1997 there has been an article for making cracks in a steel plate for training purposes.
However, I can not remember or locate the article.
The method was using a heat sensitive base material on which a strip was welded (spot welded). After cooling down the strip was removed and the weld grounded flush.
At the welded spot cracks were introduced. The article was good because all the materials and the method was mentioned. It was a short article, could be in NDT Basics or Back to Basics.
Can you help me locate the article.

Thanks in advance.

Dik de Groot

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 608

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
08:39 Oct-14-1998
Re: mpi NDT
: In either Insight or Materials Evaluation in the time frame of 1996-1997 there has been an article for making cracks in a steel plate for training purposes.
: However, I can not remember or locate the article.
: The method was using a heat sensitive base material on which a strip was welded (spot welded). After cooling down the strip was removed and the weld grounded flush.
: At the welded spot cracks were introduced. The article was good because all the materials and the method was mentioned. It was a short article, could be in NDT Basics or Back to Basics.
: Can you help me locate the article.

: Thanks in advance.

: Dik de Groot
-----------------
It was published in 5 parts in Insight.
For the first two issues we have the TOC's on NDTnet.
(Insight maybe continue the other issues on their own homepage
http://www.powertech.co.uk/bindt/, unfortunalty
the server is not responding)

Vol 40 No. 1 (Jan 98)
NDT FUNDAMENTALS: Magnetic Particle Testing pp. 53
www.ndt.net/bibliog/insi0198.htm

Vol 40 No. 2 (Feb 98)
Part 2. Electromagnetic induction pp. 122
www.ndt.net/bibliog/insi0298.htm

Vol 40 No. 3 (Mar 98)
Part 3. The magnetic flow method pp. 220

Vol 40 No. 4 (April 98)
Part 4. Test values pp. 292

Vol 40 No. 5 (May 98)
Part 5. Magnetic Particle inks and powers pp. 356

William Avrin, San Diego, CA
William Avrin, San Diego, CA
00:16 Feb-19-1999
Re: mpi NDT
I read with interest your response to a question about magnetic particle inspection of cracks in steel plates. I have been working on ultralow-frequency eddy-current methods which can potentially detect flaws several millimeters deep in steel. Can you suggest any situations where this kind of capability might be useful?

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window