where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Rabindranath
Rabindranath
03:52 May-17-2002
Lamb waves

Hello everyone,

I am trying to simulate Lamb waves on Ansys 5.6 .I have created a plate like model with the required spatial resolution. But I do not know how to apply boundary conditions and loads that would create the lamb waves in the plate. If anyone of you have done this before, Please let me know how to do it.

Is there any example where such a thing has been described? Like simulation of Ultrasonics on Ansys or any other package?

Please help!

Thanks,
Rabindranath.

Michael Conry
Student
University College Dublin, Ireland, Joined May 2002, 3

Michael Conry

Student
University College Dublin,
Ireland,
Joined May 2002
00:40 May-31-2002
Re: Lamb waves
Are you doing a 2-D or 3-D model. If you are doing a 2-D model, it might be either a plane-strain model (looking in at the edge of the plate) or a shell-like model.

A 2-D plane strain model is probably the best option. The loads you use depend on things like what mode you want to observe (e.g. symmetric loads for symmetric modes), and can be just as simple as applying a harmonic normal force to small regions of the top and bottom surfaces of your model. The resulting propagating wave will be a Lamb wave (you can verify that by looking at frequency-velocity relationship or looking at the mode-shapes). You will get problems when the wave begins to interact with the ends of the model. Ideally you should use "infinite-elements". These are provided in ABAQUS, but might not feature in ANSYS. Basically, such elements provide quiet boundaries for the model and allow energy to leave the model (so you don't get standing waves).

I hope this helps to get you started
m

: Hello everyone,
: I am trying to simulate Lamb waves on Ansys 5.6 .I have created a plate like model with the required spatial resolution. But I do not know how to apply boundary conditions and loads that would create the lamb waves in the plate. If anyone of you have done this before, Please let me know how to do it.
: Is there any example where such a thing has been described? Like simulation of Ultrasonics on Ansys or any other package?
: Please help!
: Thanks,
: Rabindranath.

utkarsh
utkarsh
10:40 Dec-14-2015
Re: Lamb waves
In Reply to Michael Conry at 00:40 May-31-2002 .

Hi ,
Can anyone please help me to simulate waves in a composite plate using abaqus

Product Spotlight

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Eddy Current inspection : RotoETscan Rotating Head

The rotating head RotoETscan detects the presence of longitudinal surface or sub surface defects a
t high speed. The rotating head is often installed directly on the production line. It is generally dedicated to the control of long products such as tubes, bars and wires, made of ferrous or non-ferrous material. It can also be used for inspection of small parts (billets).
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

CIVA 2020 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window