where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Rabindranath
Rabindranath
03:52 May-17-2002
Lamb waves

Hello everyone,

I am trying to simulate Lamb waves on Ansys 5.6 .I have created a plate like model with the required spatial resolution. But I do not know how to apply boundary conditions and loads that would create the lamb waves in the plate. If anyone of you have done this before, Please let me know how to do it.

Is there any example where such a thing has been described? Like simulation of Ultrasonics on Ansys or any other package?

Please help!

Thanks,
Rabindranath.

Michael Conry
Student
University College Dublin, Ireland, Joined May 2002, 3

Michael Conry

Student
University College Dublin,
Ireland,
Joined May 2002
00:40 May-31-2002
Re: Lamb waves
Are you doing a 2-D or 3-D model. If you are doing a 2-D model, it might be either a plane-strain model (looking in at the edge of the plate) or a shell-like model.

A 2-D plane strain model is probably the best option. The loads you use depend on things like what mode you want to observe (e.g. symmetric loads for symmetric modes), and can be just as simple as applying a harmonic normal force to small regions of the top and bottom surfaces of your model. The resulting propagating wave will be a Lamb wave (you can verify that by looking at frequency-velocity relationship or looking at the mode-shapes). You will get problems when the wave begins to interact with the ends of the model. Ideally you should use "infinite-elements". These are provided in ABAQUS, but might not feature in ANSYS. Basically, such elements provide quiet boundaries for the model and allow energy to leave the model (so you don't get standing waves).

I hope this helps to get you started
m

: Hello everyone,
: I am trying to simulate Lamb waves on Ansys 5.6 .I have created a plate like model with the required spatial resolution. But I do not know how to apply boundary conditions and loads that would create the lamb waves in the plate. If anyone of you have done this before, Please let me know how to do it.
: Is there any example where such a thing has been described? Like simulation of Ultrasonics on Ansys or any other package?
: Please help!
: Thanks,
: Rabindranath.

utkarsh
utkarsh
10:40 Dec-14-2015
Re: Lamb waves
In Reply to Michael Conry at 00:40 May-31-2002 .

Hi ,
Can anyone please help me to simulate waves in a composite plate using abaqus

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window