where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
SK mohiuddin
SK mohiuddin
06:15 May-18-2002
NDT Practical examination

I have seen different ways by different L3 conducting practical examination, may be based on respective written practice. There are many check points that we can institute on the candidate before evaluating his proficiency. In this regard, I would like to know from guru's in the forum, what is the best way of conducting a practical examination for level II and Level I as per ASNT. Is it required for a L3 to be present while L2/L1 is being tested for practical? I think only evaluation is to be done by L3 whereas invigilator can be anyone.

Some of the check points I feel are...please share your views for the benefit of all

1) Check the candidates proficiency in handling and setting the equipment/process
2) whether candidate could able to detect the defect, if yes was the dimentions (location and size) is as per the master document ( within +/- 10% normally full marks) and more depart from actual values will reduce the marks proportionally. In some cases the cracks in specimen is very minute, in these cases full marks for detecting.
3) how good is the candidates report.
4) normally 2 specimens is recommended for the above

thanks
moin

mike doglas
mike doglas
02:45 Jul-03-2002
Re: NDT Practical examination
: I have seen different ways by different L3 conducting practical examination, may be based on respective written practice. There are many check points that we can institute on the candidate before evaluating his proficiency. In this regard, I would like to know from guru's in the forum, what is the best way of conducting a practical examination for level II and Level I as per ASNT. Is it required for a L3 to be present while L2/L1 is being tested for practical? I think only evaluation is to be done by L3 whereas invigilator can be anyone.
: Some of the check points I feel are...please share your views for the benefit of all
: 1) Check the candidates proficiency in handling and setting the equipment/process
: 2) whether candidate could able to detect the defect, if yes was the dimentions (location and size) is as per the master document ( within +/- 10% normally full marks) and more depart from actual values will reduce the marks proportionally. In some cases the cracks in specimen is very minute, in these cases full marks for detecting.
: 3) how good is the candidates report.
: 4) normally 2 specimens is recommended for the above
: thanks
: moin
.mike doglas

Product Spotlight

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window