where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
John Hazel
John Hazel
09:08 Jun-06-2002
Inconel 825 Acoustic longitudinal velocity

I am trying to find the acoustic longitudinal velocity for Inconel 825. there is not much information posted about this alloy. Does any one have any ideas what the velocity is or where I might find it?

Danny Wang
Danny Wang
09:53 Jun-06-2002
Re: Inconel 825 Acoustic longitudinal velocity
: I am trying to find the acoustic longitudinal velocity for Inconel 825. there is not much information posted about this alloy. Does any one have any ideas what the velocity is or where I might find it?

John:

Velocity V=D/t Two techniques:
(1)
Find a place with known thickness (t) such as flange.
Using your UT to find the transient time ( delta T). The time from initial pauls to first back wall or the transient time from 1st back wall to 2nd back wall.

V= 2 x thickness/ delta T

(2)
Find a place with known thickness (t) such as flange.
Using your UT, placed a probe on the known thickness area and change the velocity until the first back to the correct thickness.

If you have futher question you can call me at 909-392-5263. or visit my web site at http://www.spectruminspection.org

Danny Wang, PE

Richard Finlayson
Director, Operations
Princeton Instruments, USA, Joined Jun 2000, 8

Richard Finlayson

Director, Operations
Princeton Instruments,
USA,
Joined Jun 2000
00:52 Jun-06-2002
: : I am trying to find the acoustic longitudinal velocity for Inconel 825. there is not much information posted about this alloy. Does any one have any ideas what the velocity is or where I might find it?
: .
: John:
John,

You can find a table of acoustic velocities in Part 2 of the NDT Handbook,UT testing,Volume Seven from ASNT. It shows the longitudinal wave velocity as 5820 m/s for Inconel.

Richard
Major (retired) Richard D. Finlayson
Director, Research, Engineering Applications, Certification,
Training (REACT) and New Business Development
Physical Acoustics Corp.
195 Clarksville Road
Princeton Jct. NJ 08550, USA
Direct Phone: (609)-716-4026
Fax: (609)-716-0706
e-mail: rfinlayson@pacndt.com
web site: www.pacndt.com

M. W. Moyer
M. W. Moyer
01:41 Jun-06-2002
I have the following values for Inconel:
Inconel 600 Inconel
Longitudinal Velocity: 5.915 mm/us 5.820 mm/us
Shear Velocity: 3.078 mm/us 3.020 mm/us
Density: 8.45 gm/cm^3 8.250 gm/cm^3

: I am trying to find the acoustic longitudinal velocity for Inconel 825. there is not much information posted about this alloy. Does any one have any ideas what the velocity is or where I might find it?

Product Spotlight

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window