where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Dr Ahmed Yamani
Director, - President & CEO
Yamani Institute of Technology, Algeria, Joined Nov 2001, 23

Dr Ahmed Yamani

Director, - President & CEO
Yamani Institute of Technology,
Algeria,
Joined Nov 2001
08:35 Nov-05-2002
Testing Corrosion in Fusion-Bonded Epoxy-coated Rebar in Concrete

Dear Colleagues,

I appreciate very much if any one can direct me to techniques used or any literature available on the assessment of corrosion in Fusion-Bonded-Epoxy-Coated Rebar in concrete.
The cover (depth of concrete above the bar) is about 4 to 6 cm, I was thinking of using eddy current techniques for that. Any comments are much welcome.

John O'Brien
Consultant, -
Chevron ETC , USA, Joined Jan 2000, 280

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
01:38 Nov-07-2002
Re: Testing Corrosion in Fusion-Bonded Epoxy-coated Rebar in Concrete
I think you may find the standoff too great to obtain reliable results. In the UK the civil industry is working with AE through a product called AECORR to monitor active corrosion of steel in concrete. It may be worth looking at.

Weihua Mao
Weihua Mao
05:38 Nov-11-2002
Re: Testing Corrosion in Fusion-Bonded Epoxy-coated Rebar in Concrete
I guess that we are doing similar inpsection to your problem.
Our company, the Pressure Pipe Inspection Company, developed a technique called Remote Field Eddy Current / Transformer Coupling. We inspect the broken prestressing steel wires in concrete pipes. In general, the pipes are underground and we inspect them from the inside of the pipes. We can tell the number of broken steel wires even there is a Gauge 14 steel cylinder.

Could you tell me more details about your problem? Such as the geometry and requrement.

Weihua Mao

: Dear Colleagues,
:
: I appreciate very much if any one can direct me to techniques used or any literature available on the assessment of corrosion in Fusion-Bonded-Epoxy-Coated Rebar in concrete.
: The cover (depth of concrete above the bar) is about 4 to 6 cm, I was thinking of using eddy current techniques for that. Any comments are much welcome.

Product Spotlight

MIZ®-21C: Truly Affordable Eddy Current Handheld with Surface Array Capability

Introducing MIZ-21C, the first truly affordable handheld eddy current instrument with surface array
capabilities. MIZ-21C can deliver fast, accurate inspections in demanding NDT applications including aerospace, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power generation. The surface array solution can reduce inspection time by up to 95% compared to traditional handheld pencil probes. The ergonomic design, long battery life, and intuitive touchscreen mean you can inspect more areas faster than ever without fatigue.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window