where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Volume Graphics GmbH
Technical Discussions
Manoj
NDT Inspector, NDT Technician
India, Joined Feb 2010, 12

Manoj

NDT Inspector, NDT Technician
India,
Joined Feb 2010
10:02 Apr-27-2013
MFL corrosion mapping

I am using Silverwing VS2i for (MFL)bottom floor corrosion mapping. Actually I have been faced some difficulty to do the scan on FRP coated bottom floor of the tank. As per the setting procedure I got only 1 mm sensor lift off. (Plate thickness was10 mm. FRP coat thickness was 6 mm). Generally almost of the tank bottom floor plates are appearing uneven and undulated surface.. Especially in this specific case the bottom floor has been coat lining and patch works also. There were enough chance to hit the sensor on the floor surface and getting false indications, There were no possibilities to prove up the mfl indications by manual UT.

I have to do one more tank mfl in the same condition. Please let me know have any amicable solution or suggestion for overcoming these things? How can I maintain the sensitivity and quality of the job?

Thanks in advance for all valuable suggestions.

Manoj

Bounatiro
NDT Inspector, QAQC
Csc- exp, Algeria, Joined Sep 2011, 58

Bounatiro

NDT Inspector, QAQC
Csc- exp,
Algeria,
Joined Sep 2011
22:29 Apr-08-2014
Re: MFL corrosion mapping
In Reply to Manoj at 10:02 Apr-27-2013 (Opening).

Mr Manoj

I have the same problem as you, i will do inspection next month for bottom of 9 mm thickness and 4mm FRP.
How did you do it

Manoj
Manoj
11:39 Apr-09-2014
In Reply to Bounatiro at 22:29 Apr-08-2014 .

Mr.Bounatiro

I used to VS2! Scanner, but now the new 3D version is available it can achieve at least 2mm sensor lift off in the same condition. It will be achieve little more gaps between the floor and sensor head. Manual UT proves up is impossible so you clearly communicate with the client regarding the limitations of technology. The hand scanner use to cover the maximum area of the floor. Confirm the floor preparation is enough to do execute the job and offer to them maximum coverage and accuracy as possible.

It’s really a challenging task, wish you all success.

gopi
Engineering, NDT Engineer
seeking long & Short term job - Freelancer, India, Joined Jun 2012, 26

gopi

Engineering, NDT Engineer
seeking long & Short term job - Freelancer,
India,
Joined Jun 2012
12:13 Apr-09-2014
In Reply to Manoj at 10:02 Apr-27-2013 (Opening).

Mr. Manoj,

For those type of jobs, proper cleaning is needed, and yellow shims are necessary, they give us the proper height, for further details u can read the settings mentioned on the equipment itself.

gopi

Thiru NDT Level III, Singapore
Engineering,
Singapore, Joined Mar 2013, 1

Thiru NDT Level III, Singapore

Engineering,
Singapore,
Joined Mar 2013
12:54 Sep-30-2015
In Reply to gopi at 12:13 Apr-09-2014 .

Hi,
I would like to hear your experience with scanning of bottom plates over FRP. Do let me know how comfortable you are with Silverwing Equipment?
Who are the MFL equipment manufacturers available in market?
Thanks

Thiru

Product Spotlight

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window