where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.
Technical Discussions
Azzam
Azzam
08:55 Sep-07-2007
IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material?

Hello guys..
would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
03:25 Sep-07-2007
Re: IQI/penetrameter for Exotic Material?
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello guys..
: would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Both Hastelloy-X and Nimonic 263 are primarily Nickel based alloys. Without knowing the code you are working to I am hesitant to state wether you are able to use anything else. However, I believe you are able to substitute a softer material, ie. Steel for Nickel, when you are in a pinch. The down side is, it will require thicker shimming of the steel to compensate for the hardness difference. Remember to select the IQI based on the material thickness you are attempting to radiograph, not on the thickness of the shim you are required to use to even out the densities.

ET
ET
04:19 Sep-12-2007
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hello guys..
: : would appreciate if u guys can assist me in determining the suitable IQI for RT on exotic material such as Hastelloy-X, Nimonic 263 and others. Is there any IQI made of these materials? can i just simply use the IQI that we use on carbon steel? Thanking u in advance!
: Both Hastelloy-X and Nimonic 263 are primarily Nickel based alloys. Without knowing the code you are working to I am hesitant to state wether you are able to use anything else. However, I believe you are able to substitute a softer material, ie. Steel for Nickel, when you are in a pinch. The down side is, it will require thicker shimming of the steel to compensate for the hardness difference. Remember to select the IQI based on the material thickness you are attempting to radiograph, not on the thickness of the shim you are required to use to even out the densities.
------------ End Original Message ------------

That is correct. You can use an IQI from a lower group number as defined in ASME Sec. V, basically less dense materials

Vishal Gupta
Vishal Gupta
15:18 Jun-16-2013
In Reply to DJ Kallhof at 03:25 Sep-07-2007 .

For Selection of the penetrameters you can refer ASTM E-747. For Nickel based alloys contaning Ni-Cr-Mo as major elements and Ni-Cu alloys use Group-3 and group-4 penetrameter respectively.

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window