where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 605

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
03:07 Feb-18-2003
How to detect cracks in dams

On behalf of a reader I post this message:
I am not sure if UT could work, but what about GPR or IRT?
------
Dear Mr. Diedericks,

We have divers that do maintenance and repair dams underwater. I was asked if there is an acoustical mean (ultrasound or else) that could be used underwater to detect cracks in dams as a preventive measure.

Thank you for paying attention to my request.

Regards!

Franc Buijsen
Franc Buijsen
03:27 Feb-18-2003
Re: How to detect cracks in dams
Assuming the dams are of steel. Cracks can be found underwater by means of eddy current or magnetic. Both techniques are intensively used on the North sea and in the harbours. There are a lot of companies in The Netherlands and the UK offering this service. We have trained divers to do this kind of work.

Franc

: On behalf of a reader I post this message:
: I am not sure if UT could work, but what about GPR or IRT?
: ------
: Dear Mr. Diedericks,
:
: We have divers that do maintenance and repair dams underwater. I was asked if there is an acoustical mean (ultrasound or else) that could be used underwater to detect cracks in dams as a preventive measure.
:
: Thank you for paying attention to my request.
:
: Regards!

Todd Allen
Consultant, Ground Penetrating Radar ( GPR )
Radarview Concrete and Underground 3D Imaging, USA, Joined Jan 2003, 7

Todd Allen

Consultant, Ground Penetrating Radar ( GPR )
Radarview Concrete and Underground 3D Imaging,
USA,
Joined Jan 2003
02:59 Feb-19-2003
If the Dam is concrete, GPR is great for thickness, and reinforcement location, but for cracks you need to use the Ultrasonic Impact-Echo method. If you need more information call me at 281-705-9476 (USA).

Thanks,
-Todd Allen

:
: We have divers that do maintenance and repair dams underwater. I was asked if there is an acoustical mean (ultrasound or else) that could be used underwater to detect cracks in dams as a preventive measure.
:
:

Neil Gibson
Director
CNS Farnell Ltd, United Kingdom, Joined Jul 2003, 2

Neil Gibson

Director
CNS Farnell Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jul 2003
08:58 Feb-20-2003
:
:
:

The ultrasonic pulse velocity technique is widely used to detect cracks in concrete structures (assuming your dam is concrete! CNS Farnell can supply instruments and transducers for this purpose. Transducers for use at depths much below 1-2m are not standard but can be made. You will need access to both sides of the dam to detect cracks and other defects.

Take a look at our website www.cnsfarnell.com or call me for more information on +44 (0)20 8238 6900

asif
asif
05:50 Dec-11-2003
i m student of msc civil engg. i have to deliver a presentation so plz post it to me
thanks
asif

Product Spotlight

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window