where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

YXLON International GmbH
Technical Discussions
David Harvey
David Harvey
00:30 Mar-05-2003
Reflector plate testing

We employ reflector-plate testing on relatively thin (0.090" to 0.500") refractory metals. I would very much like to change to a back - surface reflection moniotoring type of test. Does anyone have any wisdom to contribute to this question? I understand some of the obvious differences, but I am somewhat stymied in coming up with the justification for trying to change over to this test. Thank you for your assistance.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1268

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
01:21 Mar-05-2003
Re: Reflector plate testing
Mr. Harvey:
Could you please provide a bit more information.
I am not clear on what "reflector-plate" testing is.
What are you monitoring or testing for. (Can I assume you are using some form of automated ultrasonic configuration?)
Ed

: We employ reflector-plate testing on relatively thin (0.090" to 0.500") refractory metals. I would very much like to change to a back - surface reflection moniotoring type of test. Does anyone have any wisdom to contribute to this question? I understand some of the obvious differences, but I am somewhat stymied in coming up with the justification for trying to change over to this test. Thank you for your assistance.

Carlos Valdecantos
Engineering
MTORRES, Ing., Spain, Joined May 2001, 9

Carlos Valdecantos

Engineering
MTORRES, Ing.,
Spain,
Joined May 2001
09:31 Mar-06-2003
Re: Reflector plate testing
As far as I understand, reflector plate test is also referred to as "double transmission" and gives no information about time of flight (thickness or flaw depth) because the echo being monitored is the one coming from the plate which is kept at a fixed distance from the transducer. Defects are shown in the C-scan as amplitude fall of the plate echo. Axial resolution is not involved, so standard transducer can be used. Although pulse-echo systems are used, reflector plate test is not strictly a pulse-echo test.

True pulse-echo test makes use the backwall echo of the part under test. This gives information on the amplitude (C-scan) and time of flight (D-scan), so thickness of the part and depth of defects are measured. High axial resolution transducers are required for thin parts testing. Also geometric requirements (perpendicularity to the part surface) are more stringent in pulse echo.

C. Valdecantos

Product Spotlight

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window