where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

EKOSCAN
EKOSCAN is a French manufacturer specialized in equipment for ultrasonic Non Destructive Testing: Probes,UT boards & Scanners tailored for your needs
Technical Discussions
Protopappas
Protopappas
03:48 Mar-06-2003
Velocity of stainless steel 316 and plexiglass

Please,

could anyone provide me with the ultrasound velocity of the following materials:
steel 316
plexiglass
perspex (lucite)

I really cannot find accurate values.

Thank you in advance.

Neil Burleigh
Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Dec 2002, 158

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
00:44 Mar-07-2003
Re: Velocity of stainless steel 316 and plexiglass
: Please,
: could anyone provide me with the ultrasound velocity of the following materials:
: steel 316
: plexiglass
: perspex (lucite)
: I really cannot find accurate values.
: Thank you in advance.
.Here is some info. for you
Lucite Vlong 2680m/sec Vshear 1050m/sec
Plexiglass a)UVA Vlong 2760m/sec Vshear 1090m/sec
b)UVAII Vlong 2730m/sec Vshear 1080m/sec
Hope this helps
Regards

Uli Mletzko
R & D, Retired
Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 89

Uli Mletzko

R & D, Retired
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
04:24 Mar-07-2003

: could anyone provide me with the ultrasound velocity of the following materials:

The ultrasound velocity in stainless steel is strongly depending on the material (cast, forged, weld), especially on the grain size and the grain orientation, leading to anisotropy.
In general, the velocity is lower than in heat treated, forged, fine grain ferritic carbon steel (clong = 5920 m/s, ctrans =3250 m/s).
So, clong = 5800 m/s might be a suitable average value, but sometimes it can be also down to 5400 m/s.
You have to use suitable control specimens or you have calibrate on the test specimen directly.

Regards
Uli Mletzko
NDT Group, MPA
University of Stuttgart, Germany

Kris Smestad
Kris Smestad
06:46 Mar-14-2003
: Please,
: plexiglass
: perspex (lucite)
: I really cannot find accurate values.
: Thank you in advance.

Keep it simple. If you have a known thickness of a material, you can determine it's exact velocity. Measure a sample with a micrometer. Set your screen range on your A-scan to twice that thickness. After compensating for probe delay, adjust your velocity so you have one signal at 50% and one at 100%.

Easy, right?

Product Spotlight

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

Eddy Current inspection : RotoETscan Rotating Head

The rotating head RotoETscan detects the presence of longitudinal surface or sub surface defects a
t high speed. The rotating head is often installed directly on the production line. It is generally dedicated to the control of long products such as tubes, bars and wires, made of ferrous or non-ferrous material. It can also be used for inspection of small parts (billets).
>

A1525 SOLO

A1525 Solo – the most compact and affordable TMF unit with two phased array transducers and 3D v
isualization and analysis software in standard delivery set. A compact, ergonomic and easy to handheld Phased Array unit based on Total Focusing Method for easy-going imaging of inspection objects with two-dimensional and three-dimensional visualization and evaluation of inspection results.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window