where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Materials Research Institute
Consulting to the NDT industry.
Technical Discussions
Josip Vuk
Josip Vuk
01:52 Sep-08-2003
Aircraft weld incpection

I am a student at Faculty of Engineering and Naval Arhitecture in Zagreb. I am doing my final thesis and am looking for a Maintenance Manual or Component Repair and Overhaul Manual for any part of any type of any Boeing or Airbus aircraft, which defines inspection of welds (either steel or aluminum).
My intention is to simulate such a part in faculty`s labaratory (for I am unable to acquire a real-life part or documentation)and to perform prescribed radiografic (or ultrasonic) testing.
Materials can be on-line.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 526

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
06:50 Sep-08-2003
Re: Aircraft weld incpection
in my experience there are very few critical welded joints in Aircraft structures. Mostly just used in ancilliary assemblies, In particular in Ducting (e.g thin wall stainless or alloy tubes) and in landing gear.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am a student at Faculty of Engineering and Naval Arhitecture in Zagreb. I am doing my final thesis and am looking for a Maintenance Manual or Component Repair and Overhaul Manual for any part of any type of any Boeing or Airbus aircraft, which defines inspection of welds (either steel or aluminum).
: My intention is to simulate such a part in faculty`s labaratory (for I am unable to acquire a real-life part or documentation)and to perform prescribed radiografic (or ultrasonic) testing.
: Materials can be on-line.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Gary
Consultant
TWI, United Kingdom, Joined May 2001, 15

Gary

Consultant
TWI,
United Kingdom,
Joined May 2001
02:31 Sep-11-2003
From my experience I have seen some fairly bad accidents through failures of welds in ductings, particularly with secondary damge to wiring looms etc.

Landing gear also has its uses on occassion.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: in my experience there are very few critical welded joints in Aircraft structures. Mostly just used in ancilliary assemblies, In particular in Ducting (e.g thin wall stainless or alloy tubes) and in landing gear.
: : I am a student at Faculty of Engineering and Naval Arhitecture in Zagreb. I am doing my final thesis and am looking for a Maintenance Manual or Component Repair and Overhaul Manual for any part of any type of any Boeing or Airbus aircraft, which defines inspection of welds (either steel or aluminum).
: : My intention is to simulate such a part in faculty`s labaratory (for I am unable to acquire a real-life part or documentation)and to perform prescribed radiografic (or ultrasonic) testing.
: : Materials can be on-line.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Carlos Valdecantos
Engineering
MTORRES, Ing., Spain, Joined May 2001, 9

Carlos Valdecantos

Engineering
MTORRES, Ing.,
Spain,
Joined May 2001
01:07 Sep-12-2003
AIRBUS is currently using welded stringers as an alternative to massive machinning of thick plates. Welding is carried out by high power laser.

Our company is the supplier of the automatic machines for this process. Please, refer to MTORRES web site.

Regards,

C. Valdecantos

Product Spotlight

CIVA 2020 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window