where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Rabindranath
Rabindranath
03:52 May-17-2002
Lamb waves

Hello everyone,

I am trying to simulate Lamb waves on Ansys 5.6 .I have created a plate like model with the required spatial resolution. But I do not know how to apply boundary conditions and loads that would create the lamb waves in the plate. If anyone of you have done this before, Please let me know how to do it.

Is there any example where such a thing has been described? Like simulation of Ultrasonics on Ansys or any other package?

Please help!

Thanks,
Rabindranath.

Michael Conry
Student
University College Dublin, Ireland, Joined May 2002, 3

Michael Conry

Student
University College Dublin,
Ireland,
Joined May 2002
00:40 May-31-2002
Re: Lamb waves
Are you doing a 2-D or 3-D model. If you are doing a 2-D model, it might be either a plane-strain model (looking in at the edge of the plate) or a shell-like model.

A 2-D plane strain model is probably the best option. The loads you use depend on things like what mode you want to observe (e.g. symmetric loads for symmetric modes), and can be just as simple as applying a harmonic normal force to small regions of the top and bottom surfaces of your model. The resulting propagating wave will be a Lamb wave (you can verify that by looking at frequency-velocity relationship or looking at the mode-shapes). You will get problems when the wave begins to interact with the ends of the model. Ideally you should use "infinite-elements". These are provided in ABAQUS, but might not feature in ANSYS. Basically, such elements provide quiet boundaries for the model and allow energy to leave the model (so you don't get standing waves).

I hope this helps to get you started
m

: Hello everyone,
: I am trying to simulate Lamb waves on Ansys 5.6 .I have created a plate like model with the required spatial resolution. But I do not know how to apply boundary conditions and loads that would create the lamb waves in the plate. If anyone of you have done this before, Please let me know how to do it.
: Is there any example where such a thing has been described? Like simulation of Ultrasonics on Ansys or any other package?
: Please help!
: Thanks,
: Rabindranath.

utkarsh
utkarsh
10:40 Dec-14-2015
Re: Lamb waves
In Reply to Michael Conry at 00:40 May-31-2002 .

Hi ,
Can anyone please help me to simulate waves in a composite plate using abaqus

Product Spotlight

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window