where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GE Inspection Technologies
Inspection Technologies, a business of the Baker Hughes, a GE company (BHGE IT), is one of the world's leading suppliers of nondestructive testin ...
Technical Discussions
Rabindranath
Rabindranath
03:52 May-17-2002
Lamb waves

Hello everyone,

I am trying to simulate Lamb waves on Ansys 5.6 .I have created a plate like model with the required spatial resolution. But I do not know how to apply boundary conditions and loads that would create the lamb waves in the plate. If anyone of you have done this before, Please let me know how to do it.

Is there any example where such a thing has been described? Like simulation of Ultrasonics on Ansys or any other package?

Please help!

Thanks,
Rabindranath.

Michael Conry
Student
University College Dublin, Ireland, Joined May 2002, 3

Michael Conry

Student
University College Dublin,
Ireland,
Joined May 2002
00:40 May-31-2002
Re: Lamb waves
Are you doing a 2-D or 3-D model. If you are doing a 2-D model, it might be either a plane-strain model (looking in at the edge of the plate) or a shell-like model.

A 2-D plane strain model is probably the best option. The loads you use depend on things like what mode you want to observe (e.g. symmetric loads for symmetric modes), and can be just as simple as applying a harmonic normal force to small regions of the top and bottom surfaces of your model. The resulting propagating wave will be a Lamb wave (you can verify that by looking at frequency-velocity relationship or looking at the mode-shapes). You will get problems when the wave begins to interact with the ends of the model. Ideally you should use "infinite-elements". These are provided in ABAQUS, but might not feature in ANSYS. Basically, such elements provide quiet boundaries for the model and allow energy to leave the model (so you don't get standing waves).

I hope this helps to get you started
m

: Hello everyone,
: I am trying to simulate Lamb waves on Ansys 5.6 .I have created a plate like model with the required spatial resolution. But I do not know how to apply boundary conditions and loads that would create the lamb waves in the plate. If anyone of you have done this before, Please let me know how to do it.
: Is there any example where such a thing has been described? Like simulation of Ultrasonics on Ansys or any other package?
: Please help!
: Thanks,
: Rabindranath.

utkarsh
utkarsh
10:40 Dec-14-2015
Re: Lamb waves
In Reply to Michael Conry at 00:40 May-31-2002 .

Hi ,
Can anyone please help me to simulate waves in a composite plate using abaqus

Product Spotlight

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window