where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

NOVO DR
develops and manufactures cutting edge Portable Digital Radiography X-ray Inspection Systems.
Technical Discussions
AMSNDt
AMSNDt
04:17 Dec-15-2003
NDT before or after annealing of tubular products

Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter

Thanks

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 302

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
08:31 Dec-15-2003
Re: NDT before or after annealing of tubular products
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter
: Thanks
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi,
Don't know of a standard that says NDT after HT, but it makes sense to test after HT.

HT can cause cracking in some circumstances, so you need to be sure that there are no cracks in the final product.

Depends to a great extent on the HT costs if you also test before HT.
For instance, if you test welds on a large vessel only after HT, and find a repair, then you have the HT costs again after repair.

If you test individual mass-produced small components, extra HT costs are not significant and before HT NDT can possibly be skipped.

Godfrey Hands

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
05:39 Dec-15-2003
Off-hand I can't give you the reference but many specifications do ask for NDT afte Heat Treatment only. Reason being that tight cracks which may be missed or fine cracks which may be produced due to stresses being redistributed will be detected.

Removal of scale after HT is important especially if PT is being tried.

Regards.

Swamy

: Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter

David Harvey
Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang, USA, Joined Nov 2002, 42

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
06:10 Dec-15-2003
I am not familiar with an industry specification or standard that requires NDT after HT on tubulars. Some specific customers or fabricators may do so, but I have not seen a standard that does. I am sure that the material and part design will bear on whether or not it matters - in some cases post-HT NDT is not feasible when rework or removal of defects would result in scrapped tubes.

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
06:41 Dec-15-2003
: Off-hand I can't give you the reference but many specifications do ask for NDT afte Heat Treatment only. Reason being that tight cracks which may be missed or fine cracks which may be produced due to stresses being redistributed will be detected.
: Removal of scale after HT is important especially if PT is being tried.
: Regards.
: Swamy
: : Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter
: : Thanks
ASTM E 1417 Para. 6.8 Examination Sequence- Final penetrant examination shall be performed after completion of all operations that could... expose discontinuities... open to the surface. Such operations include... ,and heat treating.

J O'Brien
Consultant, -
Chevron ETC , USA, Joined Jan 2000, 278

J O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
07:35 Dec-15-2003
Purchase Order Specifications control. If a reference code is called out look there.

For example ASME B31.1 Chapter VI Para 341.3 (a) For P Nos 3, 4 and 5 materials , examination shall be performed after completion of any heat treatment.

Regards

David Tamorron Musu
David Tamorron Musu
03:23 Dec-16-2003
Dear Mr. AMSNDt,

I did my final project in college about Failure Analysis of Dryer Shell Cracking. The research was done by checking the fracture, test the chemical composition, and simulate the cyclic thermal (Heat Treatment/HT) in the laboratory.

At HT variations (temperature & time), I simulated my specimen by quenching treatment every time after my HT is done. I also took macro & micro photographs, and then counted its boundary size using OPTIMAS 2000 computer program. To check the chemical composition, I used spectrophotometer testing.

Believe it or not... the result is that chemical composition now has different compared to the original one --> I think material selection is not available.

One thing I want sharing in this case of my final project result: HT simulation shows that increasing of thermal cyclic, temperature, and heating time causing reduction of ductility ---> This phenomena known as embrittlement.

Rgrds & God Bless

:Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter

Daniel Rice
Consultant, Ultrasonic Evaluation of Resistance Spot Welding
Daniel H. Rice Consulting Services, USA, Joined Jan 2003, 10

Daniel Rice

Consultant, Ultrasonic Evaluation of Resistance Spot Welding
Daniel H. Rice Consulting Services,
USA,
Joined Jan 2003
07:01 Dec-16-2003
: Dear Mr. AMSNDt,
: I did my final project in college about Failure Analysis of Dryer Shell Cracking. The research was done by checking the fracture, test the chemical composition, and simulate the cyclic thermal (Heat Treatment/HT) in the laboratory.
: At HT variations (temperature & time), I simulated my specimen by quenching treatment every time after my HT is done. I also took macro & micro photographs, and then counted its boundary size using OPTIMAS 2000 computer program. To check the chemical composition, I used spectrophotometer testing.
: Believe it or not... the result is that chemical composition now has different compared to the original one --> I think material selection is not available.
: One thing I want sharing in this case of my final project result: HT simulation shows that increasing of thermal cyclic, temperature, and heating time causing reduction of ductility ---> This phenomena known as embrittlement.
: Rgrds & God Bless
:
: : Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter
: : Thanks

ASTM A609 States as most, ASTM standards inspection that the product should be inspected in the finished heat treated state.
I have learned the following, the finished heat treated state may induce cracking if improperly performed, or interupted. The heat treatment source may or may not know of the interuption or quenching of a improper heat treatment.
Example a supervisor, pulled heat treatment 1 hour early, which probably would have been ok! but, it was raining and the roof leaked where the fork truck driver placed the large wrought 4140 die casting. And, yes the die hardened, instead of softening, and the volosity increased,making a class 2 die a class 3 die.
Therefore with the liability of NDT and the political aspects of inspection. I would hope that inspection couldbe performed after final heat treatment. After all it is Nondestructive, right!!

Mehmet Bal
Consultant
Turkey, Joined Nov 2003, 7

Mehmet Bal

Consultant
Turkey,
Joined Nov 2003
08:50 Dec-16-2003
Dear Mr. AMSNDT,
I can reference you ASTM E 1444-Magnetic Particle Examination Section 5-5: Examnination Sequence-When Magnatic Particle examination is specified it shall be performed after the completetion of operations that could cause surface or near surface defects. These operations include, but are not limited to, forging, heat treating, ...I hope that will help.
Good lucks
Mehmet Bal
: : Dear Mr. AMSNDt,
: : I did my final project in college about Failure Analysis of Dryer Shell Cracking. The research was done by checking the fracture, test the chemical composition, and simulate the cyclic thermal (Heat Treatment/HT) in the laboratory.
: : At HT variations (temperature & time), I simulated my specimen by quenching treatment every time after my HT is done. I also took macro & micro photographs, and then counted its boundary size using OPTIMAS 2000 computer program. To check the chemical composition, I used spectrophotometer testing.
: : Believe it or not... the result is that chemical composition now has different compared to the original one --> I think material selection is not available.
: : One thing I want sharing in this case of my final project result: HT simulation shows that increasing of thermal cyclic, temperature, and heating time causing reduction of ductility ---> This phenomena known as embrittlement.
: : Rgrds & God Bless
: :
: : : Can someone please direct me to a Standard or Practice that clearly states that NDT should be performed after HT processes or does it matter
: : : Thanks
: ASTM A609 States as most, ASTM standards inspection that the product should be inspected in the finished heat treated state.
: I have learned the following, the finished heat treated state may induce cracking if improperly performed, or interupted. The heat treatment source may or may not know of the interuption or quenching of a improper heat treatment.
: Example a supervisor, pulled heat treatment 1 hour early, which probably would have been ok! but, it was raining and the roof leaked where the fork truck driver placed the large wrought 4140 die casting. And, yes the die hardened, instead of softening, and the volosity increased,making a class 2 die a class 3 die.
: Therefore with the liability of NDT and the political aspects of inspection. I would hope that inspection could be performed after final heat treatment. After all it is Nondestructive, right!!

steve hornby
NDT Inspector, NDT Manager
BAE SYSTEMS, SUBMARINES, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 2003, 4

steve hornby

NDT Inspector, NDT Manager
BAE SYSTEMS, SUBMARINES,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 2003
02:46 Dec-16-2003

Hi using Naval Engineering Standards (NES)it is a requirement that all final NDE is undertaken after the component is in its final conddition ie after any subsequent heat treating process.

Julius Achu
Julius Achu
14:08 Jan-10-2017
In Reply to AMSNDt at 04:17 Dec-15-2003 (Opening).

Can someone tell me, if I do not perform NDT before HT can that lead me in to any failures or is a personal requirement, if I choose too or not too it’s my choice?

Bruce McPherson
Consultant
MFL Services, United Kingdom, Joined Mar 2009, 26

Bruce McPherson

Consultant
MFL Services,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
12:35 Jan-16-2017
In Reply to AMSNDt at 04:17 Dec-15-2003 (Opening).

For oilfield tubulars which are manufactured in accordance wit API 5CT, API 5D API 7-1 and API 7-2 NDT shall be performed after all heat treatment has been completed.

Regard

Bruce McPherson

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window