where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
About NDT.net
Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1286

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
19:17 Jan-02-2016
Congratulations on 20 years NDT.net

Rolf, I would like to offer you my congratulations on 20 years of NDT.net. From its beginnings as a spin-off of the NDT newsgroup (does anyone remember the days before WWW?) it has become the largest NDT online journal in the world. Whether it is the ability to go to a single location and identify all of the relevant NDT equipment suppliers or the ability to locate Open Access publications of the latest research reports on NDT, NDT.net has provided us all with conveniences not available in other NDT publications.
Perhaps one of the greatest accomplishments is elimination of international boundaries. We have all enjoyed discussions and exchange of ideas and information from around the world. In fact, I am happy to say that NDT.net has also provided me with friends around the world that I would never have met had it not been for NDT.net.
Thank you for your many years of contribution Rolf!!

Manuel Haces
Director, - Wire rope inspection
Haces Inspección del Noreste and Wire Rope Inspection, Mexico, Joined Jun 2002, 124

Manuel Haces

Director, - Wire rope inspection
Haces Inspección del Noreste and Wire Rope Inspection,
Mexico,
Joined Jun 2002
04:54 Jan-03-2016
Re: Congratulations on 20 years NDT.net
In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 19:17 Jan-02-2016 (Opening).

Very well said. Congratulations and best whises for all.

Rainer LInk
Consultant, retired
Retired from CEO of DGZfP, Germany, Joined Mar 2001, 1

Rainer LInk

Consultant, retired
Retired from CEO of DGZfP,
Germany,
Joined Mar 2001
11:58 Jan-03-2016
Dear Rolf,

time is passing very fast. But I like to remember the start of NDT.net 20 years ago.
It was not such an easy project and it was not sure that you will succeed. There were a lot of objections, eventually competition to other institutions etc.
During this time I tried to support your enterprise as much as I could as General Secretary and member of the Board of DGZfP.
Today I would like to congratulate you with great respect to your very successful 20 years and to this anniversary.
With my best wishers for the future of NDT.net and you personally!!

Rainer

ezio
Other, Retired ex Laboratory Technical Manager
OMECO Research Centre, Italy, Joined Sep 2008, 273

ezio

Other, Retired ex Laboratory Technical Manager
OMECO Research Centre,
Italy,
Joined Sep 2008
14:56 Jan-03-2016
In Reply to Rainer LInk at 11:58 Jan-03-2016 .

Anche a nome dei più di 300 registrati del forum dall'Italia, mi associo a Rainer per farti le nostre congratulazioni ed auguri per sempre maggiori successi

Mehul Ghediya
Other, manager
India, Joined Nov 2012, 1

Mehul Ghediya

Other, manager
India,
Joined Nov 2012
10:29 Jan-04-2016
In Reply to ezio at 14:56 Jan-03-2016 .

Happy anniversary and thanks for providing us NDT knowledge & Technical support through this website

again lots of thanks and wish a many more years ahead................

Liviu Singher
R & D,
Technion, Israel, Joined Nov 1998, 11

Liviu Singher

R & D,
Technion,
Israel,
Joined Nov 1998
14:56 Jan-04-2016
In Reply to Rainer LInk at 11:58 Jan-03-2016 .

Rolf, I remember when you visited with us about 17 years ago. You were professional then and professional now. Slow and steady made it to the top! Good job! Your hard work and effort have paid off! This is an occasion worth celebrating! Congratulations!

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 227

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
19:45 Jan-04-2016

Yes, congratulations! This is, without a doubt, the most dense (and valuable!) NDT resource on the web.

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 609

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
01:40 Jan-06-2016

zoom image

Ed, I have to thank you for being 20 years my NDT fellow and personal friend on this journey. You have been and you are still my closest adviser, you published the most papers, you are one of the most helpful forum member. I remember the time when we both met in the NDT newsgroup 1995, already months before this website launched. The Newsgroup was the first place where NDT people met and discussed. In the news article [1] that I wrote was not enough room to say thanks to so many people or associations by mentioning their names. Also it was no space to mention much more important milestones that finally all of them build, like a puzzle, at the end NDT.net as it is today.

Very early I recognized that the newsgroup technique was to anonymous and that a web based forum with profiles of the users are a better platform. Already in this time was competition on the Internet and some people did not agreed to join the discussion in the NDT.net forum, especially people of some NDT societies or institutions. Still today you may wonder why people from certain organisations are not here or just have a profile for just listening but without contributing any advise. For this reason I do not full agree to Ed's comment "elimination of international boundaries", but I agree that this is true for individuals.

I remember the first year in the time when Internet server had not much functionality. Users submitted profiles via the web page email form so that data arrived my email box and from this data I maintained on an excel sheet the profiles, then converted by macros the HTML formatted profiles and transmitted these by ftp to the website. In the same manner the online exhibition and other content was maintained. Today I must say that it was a stupied work that I had to do, but I was motivated by seeing the results and the future. All this was done with 14.000 kbyte modem that made noises like a bad radio station. The web design was was very limited in the time slow data rate. Graphic had to be done only in very low resolution and PDF did not exist or later was not easy to use because of big files. Here I uploaded some funny pictures of our first online workshops that used a discussion board. Today you may call it Webinar. Also I upload some low resolution pictures I shot with first digital camera that Olympus Hamburg sponsored for my reports. I met many people the first time in person on conferences and exhibitions in Seattle, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Birmingham, Copenhagen etc. and of course traveled a lot in Germany to DGZfP meetings. I am proud that I was the first one that published information from these travels in the Internet.

Also I am very proud that this forum program was build by our self and offers unique functionality that no other forums on the web offer. It may not be the prettiest one but I believe it offers the most benefits. One of the most important forum concept is that it offers guests the ability to enter and to submit messages without registration. It was not always easy to get rid of the junk, spam and advertising but it was worse to keep this concept. I believe that for this reason no other real NDT forum exits on the web.

NDT.net started in 1996 with the principles: 1. open access articles 2. forum 3. online exhibition. Although today these principles are still the same it was a lot of work of continuous developing of these three principles during the 20 years. I am sure, or better to say I hope, that like the NDT technology also NDT.net will be continuously developed and will growth during the next 20 years!

Thanks again all for your congratulations.

Rolf

[1] 20 Years NDT.net: The Journey of the First Online Platform in the Sector of Nondestructive Testing
http://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?id=18708&content=1

S V Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S V Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
02:45 Jan-06-2016
In Reply to Rolf Diederichs at 01:40 Jan-06-2016 .

Dear Rolf,

I join in greeting ndt.net completing 20 years, though my own association is about 15 years old (?).....

Best wishes for more success.

Swamy

Linas Svilainis
R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology, Lithuania, Joined Nov 1998, 67

Linas Svilainis

R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology,
Lithuania,
Joined Nov 1998
14:18 Jan-06-2016

Wow! time is running fast.

Rolf,

you've done very useful job in uniting the community and promoting NDT. Thank you very much and congratulations.
Please keep on!

Rolf Diederichs
Director,

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
20:33 Jan-07-2016
In Reply to Linas Svilainis at 14:18 Jan-06-2016 .

Thanks Linas, yes we all got a little bit older since you participated in the 2nd workshop May 1997.
Your lecture in this workshop was about "Analysis and optimization of ultrasonic imaging methods for inhomogeneous structures". The UT Application Workshop is still online, a very strange design that I did in this time. The links to the discussion, quiz, etc. are still working and also the click map to zoom the panelists people still works.

Almost all of the 13 workshop panelists are still working in NDT and also active in our forum:

1. Tom Carodiskey, now with GE former Krautkramer.
  2. Ahmad Chahbaz, from Tektrend (bought by Olympus) do not know what happened to him.
  3. Richard Freemantle, former Keele University UDSP Laboratory works now in an NDT company in the UK.
  4. Edward A. Ginzel, we all know him very well from his 912 posts!
  5. Wolfgang Hillger, one of the first exhibitors and runs still his UT company Hillger Ing. Büro
  6. Martin Krause, still works in BAM NDT civil engineering lab.
  7. Friedrich Mohr, in this time Siemens, later the Areva Intelligent NDT company that closed the doors and is now a department of Areva.
  8. Tom Nelligan, former Panametrics now with Olympus and very active in our forum of 383 posts!
  9. Udo Schlengermann, retired from GE but still working in standard committee and active in our forum.
  10. Jan Strycek, founder of QMI and one of the first exhibitors, now owner of our exhibiting company Airscan
  11. Linas Svilainis, still with Kaunas University of Technology (KTU)
  12. Hermann Wüstenberg, now retired from BAM and from time to time he still post to the forum.
  13. Anton Erhard, retired in 1995 from BAM.

After the transducer and application workshops we stopped providing workshops because the forum appeared as an ongoing 7/24 workshop. A few years ago we provided again similar workshops as a "Special Session" board in the forum, however, it seems that the community does not need such meetings. It seems that it is sufficiently to have a forum for questions/discussions on demand without the need of any agenda. Actually the whole NDT.net website could be defined as an ongoing virtual conference.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 526

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
22:10 Jan-07-2016
In Reply to Rolf Diederichs at 20:33 Jan-07-2016 .

A great achievement, Hard to believe its been 20 years for Rolf's involvement in the internet. even harder to realise its nearly 18 years since we first met in 'meatspace' at the Copenhagen conference.

Its been a fascinating time. I wonder how many of us will still be here in 2035?

Rolf Diederichs
Director,

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
18:17 Jan-10-2016
In Reply to Rolf Diederichs at 20:33 Jan-07-2016 .

Panel of Experts of the Transducer Workshop September 1996

While I posted memories of the Application workshop of '98, I should also mention the first important workshop in September '96 on Ultrasonic Transducers.

The panelists and transducer experts of this workshop:

1. Dr. Gerhard Splitt retired from GE (former Krautkramer).
  2. Dr. Yoseph Bar-Cohen Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL)
  3. Robert A. Day Engineer at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
  4. Werner Rathgeb Siemens
  5. Willem (Bill) A. Grandia (has sadly died 1998) Bill founded QMI Inc. His Co-Author Jan Strycek founded Air Star for to continue the air coupled ultrasound technique.
  6. Gerard Fleury director of IMASONIC
  7. Klaus Matthies, I believe he is now retired from BAM.

Thank you to all panelists, the "Ice Breakers" of 1996!

Rainer, you wrote "There were a lot of objections, eventually competition to other institutions etc."
Yes indeed, I remember that ASNT tried to build its own discussion forum together with the Quality Magazine. Also objections from publishers/societies of printed NDT journals and proceedings and this still until today. I think these publishers/societies should find another business model instead of hindering with their votes in NDT committees the progress of open access.
Rainer, I appreciate very much that while you are retired you are still a member of the editor advisory board. Thanks again for your support during the 20 years.

Rolf

20 Years NDT.net

sandeep
India, Joined Jan 2016, 12

sandeep

India,
Joined Jan 2016
20:00 Jun-12-2016
In Reply to Rolf Diederichs at 18:17 Jan-10-2016 .

The best NDT forum online. Heartly congratulation...

Mehdi
Engineering, R & D
Iran, Joined Mar 2007, 2

Mehdi

Engineering, R & D
Iran,
Joined Mar 2007
23:16 Jun-12-2016
In Reply to Rolf Diederichs at 01:40 Jan-06-2016 .

Dear Rolf, congratulations.
I'm impressed by these nice memories.

Success comes only to those who believe in themselves and are prepared to win.
Good luck.

Product Spotlight

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Customized Probes and Transducers

With a strong development department and our own piezocomposite production, we accompany you from th
e first product idea to serial production. Our scientists are continuously researching new methods in the field of ultrasonic measurement technology. The progress achieved enables us to offer you optimal solutions.
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window