where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
alisa
alisa
20:20 Mar-06-2017
Penetrant Testing

Dear all,
I have been given an assignment that form any four cases by myself to discuss level 2 faults during penetrant testing and impact of faults..plz help me ASAP

James Scalf
NDT Inspector,
Global Integrity, Canada, Joined Oct 2012, 274

James Scalf

NDT Inspector,
Global Integrity,
Canada,
Joined Oct 2012
13:50 Mar-07-2017
Re: Penetrant Testing
In Reply to alisa at 20:20 Mar-06-2017 (Opening).

Alisa,

As this is supposed to be an assignment in which you identify and discuss level 2 faults during penetrant testing and the impact of those faults, it is difficult to provide you assistance or information that can help guide you while maintaining the integrity of your assignment.
I am assuming that by Level 2 Faults you are speaking to steps in the LPI process or procedure that if not performed correctly would lead to critical discontinuity detection failure. There is a good website (www.ndt-ed.org) which has excellent information on all the primary NDT Methods including LPI. I would recommend that you check that out and when reading about the LPI process think logically about the steps for each stage. Making a determination as to what could go wrong in each of the primary steps.
I really cannot go more in depth into this without providing you the answers that your assignment is intending you to discover for yourself. A little research into the LPI Process and logical thought should provide you the answers you are looking for as the answers are quite basic and logical. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful... Good Luck on your course. Cheers...

James

alisa
alisa
15:59 Mar-07-2017
In Reply to James Scalf at 13:50 Mar-07-2017 .

Dear james,
thanx for your answer and yes..u r right i have been given assignment to assess me infact.
i have been given 30 questions to oroginate by myself outof which i have made 25 ...yes the website u suggest ,i have already gone through and it was great ..inaddition i have studied a lot on this topic.....the issue is that the discontinuity type question i m lacking...as an example i m lacking figures where any discontinuity to create and decide it whether its relevant or false...the acceptance param have to be made by myself...i need to have support in this sense...can u plz guide me any site where discontinuity with shapes are discussed ...plz

Gerald R. Reams
Engineering,
Industry, USA, Joined Aug 2012, 181

Gerald R. Reams

Engineering,
Industry,
USA,
Joined Aug 2012
17:04 Mar-07-2017
In Reply to alisa at 15:59 Mar-07-2017 .

Try these:

ASNT - Nondestructive Testing Handbook Volume 2 Liquid Penetrant Testing
ASNT - General Dynamics Classroom Training Handbook Liquid Penetrant CT-6-2
ASNT - PTP Liquid Penetrant Testing Classroom Training Book

If you can find it, Carl Betz, Magnaflux Corporation, Liquid Penetrant Testing

These have images and discussions.

James Scalf
NDT Inspector,
Global Integrity, Canada, Joined Oct 2012, 274

James Scalf

NDT Inspector,
Global Integrity,
Canada,
Joined Oct 2012
17:48 Mar-07-2017
In Reply to alisa at 15:59 Mar-07-2017 .

Alisa,

Accept and reject criteria is normally dictated by the code or specification to which you are complying with barring that it would fall to engineering disposition. If the intent is for you to have to develop your own procedures identifying possible failure effects and the accept/reject criteria, I am assuming it is to get you prepared for your potential certification exam or ready to draft potential techniques in your future. I would recommend looking into some of the existing procedures and codes/specifications such as ASME B31.1 or 31.1 and CSA W49. These don't need to be current versions as it is intended to give you an idea as to what some of the specifications are looking for as far as accept reject criteria.
For LPI you are normally, as you should know by now, looking for surface breaking defects regardless of the code. What you need to look at are how they word the limitations and acceptance criteria. In order to have a good grasp on potential faults for the procedure you first need to have a good knowledge as to what the limitations for the methods are.
Again I don't want to spell it out for you but hopefully this information helps.

James

SharingNDT
Consultant, ASNT MT/PT Level 3, Quality Manager
SharingNDT, USA, Joined Jan 2017, 80

SharingNDT

SharingNDT,
USA,
Joined Jan 2017
19:42 Mar-07-2017
In Reply to alisa at 20:20 Mar-06-2017 (Opening).

Hey Alisa,

I agree with James that the integrity of your homework assignment is reliant on your own originality. But, I also believe that you should be asking questions for guidance. After all, Isaac Newton said," If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."

That being said, let's break down the PT process and see what you can come up with.

1. Cleaning: why clean? what cleaner? what is the surface condition? is it safe to use?
2. Dwell time: how long? which method of application?
3. Rinse: read ASTM E1417 on rinsing requirements and see what you can come up with.
4. Dry: read ASTM E1417 on drying requirements and see what you can come up with.
5. Developer: which type? which application method? compatibility with the method penetrant being used? surface roughness? Develop times?
6. Inspection: UV lighting? Eye adaption? Re-development?

Why not start with the 6 basic steps and come up with 5 questions for each? There is plenty of material out there to guide you.

alisa
alisa
20:18 Mar-07-2017
In Reply to James Scalf at 17:48 Mar-07-2017 .

Dear james, Gerald and sharing NDT,
I have no words to thanx u ppl...as when i have given this assignment .i was blank then i studied stuff from webs and after u people guidance...guys thanx again

SharingNDT

SharingNDT

SharingNDT,
USA,
Joined Jan 2017
19:58 Mar-09-2017
In Reply to alisa at 20:18 Mar-07-2017 .

I would like to see your assignment when you are done as I am hoping to be a teacher in PT very soon.

- Peter
sharingndt@gmail.com

alisa
alisa
21:19 Mar-09-2017
In Reply to SharingNDT at 19:58 Mar-09-2017 .

Dear sir,
My assignment was to prepare thirty technical question with answers . its prepared....If i send u can u ppl suggest me some good things..
Can u suggest me any site where photographs of different indications are given, like cold shuts,microshrinkage,porosity,cracks,laps etc

Gerald R. Reams
Engineering,
Industry, USA, Joined Aug 2012, 181

Gerald R. Reams

Engineering,
Industry,
USA,
Joined Aug 2012
22:05 Mar-09-2017
In Reply to alisa at 21:19 Mar-09-2017 .

Look at ASNT's website:

https://asnt.org/

Relevant Discontinuities: Magnetic Particle and Liquid Penetrant Testing
Features more than 30 inherent, processing and service discontinuities detectable by MT and /or PT with series of PT and MT indications with color photographs.
* Available In: PDF Spiral-bound

Affordable Computer Based Education for NDT: Liquid Penetrant Testing I & II (PT) (USB Flash Drive)
This collection of NDT training programs will allow your business to conduct highly efficient and productive training in-house. Each program is made up of hundreds of color photographs, graphics, or video to provide the student with an interactive and stimulating learning environment. Practice quizzes and a general exam are included. System requirements: USB drive is required to run the program. Sales of this item are final. No return is permitted.
* Available In: USB Flash Drive

Nonrelevant and False Indications
Flipbook provides comprehensive coverage of false and nonrelevant indications for five major methods: electromagnetic, liquid penetrant, magnetic particle, radiographic and ultrasonic testing. Includes color photographs, radiographic artifacts and screen shots. Corresponds with ASTM and ASME definitions.
* Available In: Spiral-bound PDF

alisa
alisa
10:26 Mar-10-2017
In Reply to Gerald R. Reams at 22:05 Mar-09-2017 .

Dear Gerald,
Refer any site where i can see free of cost material.
Because at your proposed site it is required to purchase books.
thanx

SharingNDT

SharingNDT

SharingNDT,
USA,
Joined Jan 2017
19:08 Mar-13-2017
In Reply to alisa at 10:26 Mar-10-2017 .

Alisa,

You should purchase some handbooks from ASNT. They're relatively inexpensive for a technical book and they have very valuable information that you will need in your career. You really only need "Relevant Discontinuities: Magnetic Particle (MT) and Liquid Penetrant (PT) Testing".

Hamid Reza
Canada, Joined Oct 2016, 68

Hamid Reza

Canada,
Joined Oct 2016
19:24 Mar-13-2017
In Reply to SharingNDT at 19:08 Mar-13-2017 .

Dear Alisa,

Get this book for free:

http://www-pub.iaea.org/books/IAEABooks/5267/Liquid-Penetrant-and-Magnetic-Particle-Testing-at-Level-2

There are some NDT books in other methods auch as UT, ET and LT on the same website. For an unknown reason they have removed their RT book. It was comprehensive.

These are the best books you can get legally and without paying.

Sincerely,
EB

Product Spotlight

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window