where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Eddyfi

Technical Discussions
Alex
Israel, Joined Sep 2017, 4

Alex

Israel,
Joined Sep 2017
14:31 Jan-09-2019
Water US TT material frequency attenuation

Hi,
I used a water through transmission method to measure and calculate frequency dependent ultrasound attenuation in several materials, by applying FFT to each waveform and comparing the amplitude of the signals at each frequency (Water TT vs Sample+Water TT).
In case of highly attenuating materials I had to increase the gain in Sample+Water TT case such that the amplitude of Sample+Water TT signal at Gain Y was equal to the amplitude of Water TT signal at Gain X (X<Y). In this case the difference Y-X in dB is the ratio of amplitudes between the two signals.
The problem is, that now I don't know how to compare the signals in frequency domain. Due to increased gain the signal in Sample+Water TT case has higher amplitude than in Water TT case.
Merely decrease the amplitude of first signal by Y-X dB and compare the result to second signal seems me wrong since the amplitude of received signal in frequency domain is not proportional to increase in Gain in time domain...
Any ideas?

Edward Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1247

Edward Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
15:04 Jan-09-2019
Re: Water US TT material frequency attenuation
In Reply to Alex at 14:31 Jan-09-2019 (Opening).

Alex, in a paper I prepared for NDT.net (https://www.ndt.net/article/ndtnet/2016/17_Ginzel.pdf) I used a similar configuration and several of the materials were highly attenuative. The paper references an Excel template that Ben Turnbull prepared for me to do what you are also doing in TT. The template was uploaded to the forum at
(http://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?admin=&forenID=0&msgID=64178&rootID=64178#64178)
The template is open to see all the equations used. If you would like to take a look at the format you will see that there is a correction factor that you can apply to adjust the FFT for gain differences between the reference (water) and sample. One subsequent revision was made to the template since it was uploaded so if it looks useful just give me an email and I can send you the latest edition.

Product Spotlight

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window