where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Volume Graphics GmbH
Leading industrial companies around the world look for defects in their products using Volume Graphics software.

Technical Discussions
Alex
Israel, Joined Sep 2017, 4

Alex

Israel,
Joined Sep 2017
14:31 Jan-09-2019
Water US TT material frequency attenuation

Hi,
I used a water through transmission method to measure and calculate frequency dependent ultrasound attenuation in several materials, by applying FFT to each waveform and comparing the amplitude of the signals at each frequency (Water TT vs Sample+Water TT).
In case of highly attenuating materials I had to increase the gain in Sample+Water TT case such that the amplitude of Sample+Water TT signal at Gain Y was equal to the amplitude of Water TT signal at Gain X (X<Y). In this case the difference Y-X in dB is the ratio of amplitudes between the two signals.
The problem is, that now I don't know how to compare the signals in frequency domain. Due to increased gain the signal in Sample+Water TT case has higher amplitude than in Water TT case.
Merely decrease the amplitude of first signal by Y-X dB and compare the result to second signal seems me wrong since the amplitude of received signal in frequency domain is not proportional to increase in Gain in time domain...
Any ideas?

Edward Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1252

Edward Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
15:04 Jan-09-2019
Re: Water US TT material frequency attenuation
In Reply to Alex at 14:31 Jan-09-2019 (Opening).

Alex, in a paper I prepared for NDT.net (https://www.ndt.net/article/ndtnet/2016/17_Ginzel.pdf) I used a similar configuration and several of the materials were highly attenuative. The paper references an Excel template that Ben Turnbull prepared for me to do what you are also doing in TT. The template was uploaded to the forum at
(http://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?admin=&forenID=0&msgID=64178&rootID=64178#64178)
The template is open to see all the equations used. If you would like to take a look at the format you will see that there is a correction factor that you can apply to adjust the FFT for gain differences between the reference (water) and sample. One subsequent revision was made to the template since it was uploaded so if it looks useful just give me an email and I can send you the latest edition.

Product Spotlight

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window