where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Materials Research Institute
Consulting to the NDT industry.
Technical Discussions
Ali Fasih
Ali Fasih
02:41 Sep-05-2004
ut test

Dear Sir,
I don’t know the criteria for selection of UT standards for quality assurance of welding from the design point of view. Indeed what is the difference between DIN 8563 and EN 25817 and when a designer should decide to check the welding in accordance to DIN 8563 or e.g. En 25817?
I will be grateful if you give me information about this matter.
With best regards,
Ali fasih

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 178

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
01:10 Sep-06-2004
Re: ut test
reply:
Hello,

Please notice that DIN 8563 and also EN 25817 are obsolete.
These standards had to be withdrawn because now there are global standards for the quality of welded joints on metals:

1. EN ISO 5817 (December 2003)
Welding - Fusion welded joints in steel, nickel, titanium and their alloys (beam welding excluded) - Quality levels for imperfections.

2. ISO/DIS 10042 (July 2004)
Welding - Arc-welded joints in aluminium and its weldable alloys - Quality levels for imperfections.

These global standards on weld quality are joined by an international standard on general rules for nondestructive testing of welds in metals:

3. ISO 17635 (September 2003)
Nondestructive testing of welds - General rules for fusion welds in metallic materials.

This standard is equivalent to EN 12062 (same title).

To link NDT to the designing of welds there is a new work item with CEN/Technical Committee 121:

4. WI 00121102
Welding - Design and nondestructive examination of welds.

In general:
All members of the European Union have to withdraw their national standards when a European (EN) or EN ISO standard is published on the same matter.
Before application of a national standard it is therefore necessary to check wether it is still valid and not superseeded by an international one.

Kind regards

Udo Schlengermann
Applications Laboratory
GE Inspection Technologies Systems GmbH
Huerth, Germany
Tel. +49-2233-601-550
Fax +49-2233-601-402
e-mail udo.schlengermann@ae.ge.com

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Sir,
: I don’t know the criteria for selection of UT standards for quality assurance of welding from the design point of view. Indeed what is the difference between DIN 8563 and EN 25817 and when a designer should decide to check the welding in accordance to DIN 8563 or e.g. En 25817?
: I will be grateful if you give me information about this matter.
: With best regards,
: Ali fasih
------------ End Original Message ------------

sudher
sudher
02:17 Sep-07-2005
Re: ut test
surveyor told me to do ultrasonic test as per german standard for structural joints(ship building)..what acceptance criteria should i use if it for weld

Product Spotlight

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window