where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TecScan Systems
We offer a complete line of NDT scanners, Immersion Tanks & Gantry systems which incorporate Ultrasonic, Phased Array & Eddy Current technologies.

Career Discussions
Jonathan Sweat
USA, Joined Mar 2019, 1

Jonathan Sweat

USA,
Joined Mar 2019
04:11 Mar-10-2019
Thinking about NDT

Greetings! I've recently come across NDT in my second career search, and it sounds very appealing. While I do not have a formal technical background, I've always been a techie at heart, and have a keen interest in technology and engineering.
What I'm seeking in this forum is your honest opinion about my prospects, assuming I take and pass the AINDT online course.
I'm 53, in good shape, and have lived in foreign countries before, most recently Thailand. Do you think I'm too old to be starting NDT?
Many of the jobs I see on NDT.net require 5 years of experience. What kind of job could I look forward to as a newbie, and what would an average newbie salary bee?

laurie
Australia, Joined Feb 2019, 3

laurie

Australia,
Joined Feb 2019
01:38 Mar-12-2019
Re: Thinking about NDT
In Reply to Jonathan Sweat at 04:11 Mar-10-2019 (Opening).

Most of the skills are mastered by repetition and the theory is not too difficult for the average person but you need to have some history of working with your hands and be prepared to accept that for a year you will be a junior technician.

Your bio says USA but you've mentioned AINDT so you might want to look into whether Australian/ISO9712 qualifications are acceptable in the USA.

Product Spotlight

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Exertus Dual 120

The Exertus Dual 120 Projector has the ability to accept Iridium 192 sources or Selenium 75 source
s. This projector incorporates design and safety features that make it flexible, compact and lightweight. The Projector is lighter than most of its competitors. It incorporates an improved source channel, based on a new helicoidal design, which makes maintenance easier. The helicoidal design also allows smoother movement of the source assembly inside the device, making it easier for the operator and improving safety. The Projector also has a unique safety feature not found in competitive products. The source assembly locking mechanism is triggered by the source holder capsule at the front of the source assembly, thereby always assuring the operator that the source has returned to the safe position. The Exertus Dual 120 is ISO3999:2004 compliant.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window