where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

IMechE Engineering Training Solutions
World leading provider of Non-Destructive Testing and Corrosion Prevention and Coatings training, examinations and Level 3 Consultancy Services

Technical Discussions
vicor
personal, Canada, Joined Mar 2019, 3

vicor

personal,
Canada,
Joined Mar 2019
05:33 Mar-13-2019
TFM MODE SELECTION FOR DETECT DEFECT

anyone has experience about TFM device to guide me? Which mode is useful for detecting the flaws in the weld joints?
Generally, we have different wave modes :
• Direct (LL or TT)
• Corner (LLL or TTT)
• Indirect (LLLL or TTTT)

but for example for porosity, crack, lof, lop and so on .which one is better?
Also, anyone has the procedure to inspect the weld joint with TFM? ( please share with me )
Finally, how can I improve my knowledge about TFM INSPECTION, because I did not find any book or standard about that?

Patrick Tremblay
Sales, -
Zetec, Canada, Joined Nov 2010, 25

Patrick Tremblay

Sales, -
Zetec,
Canada,
Joined Nov 2010
15:33 Mar-13-2019
Re: TFM MODE SELECTION FOR DETECT DEFECT
In Reply to vicor at 05:33 Mar-13-2019 (Opening).

Hi Victor,

Even though it may seem complicated, TFM is still UT. For the detection of the types of weld defects listed in your post, you should use the same basic principles with TFM as for PA UT and conventional UT (i.e. to detect a LoF from the near side, bouncing SW off the backwall is going to give you the best results, so T-T). This being said, depending on the thickness of the weld and the frequency of your probe, you should pay a close attention to the number of points in your TFM frame in order not to undersample your data.

If you would like to improve your knowledge about the physics principles behind TFM, I suggest you to have a look at the recording of the webinar that Zetec has done on this topic in December 2018 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWz9YavSY5M). Otherwise, if you send me an email, I can send you some more literature.

Vahhid
NDT Inspector,
Iran, Joined Dec 2015, 11

Vahhid

NDT Inspector,
Iran,
Joined Dec 2015
19:05 Mar-13-2019
In Reply to Patrick Tremblay at 15:33 Mar-13-2019 .

Hi dear , please share with me TFM literature

Edward Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1236

Edward Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
19:56 Mar-13-2019
In Reply to Vahhid at 19:05 Mar-13-2019 .

Vahhid, in the post on this thread just prior to your question, Patrick Tremblay provided you an excellent resource on the topic.
On a parallel thread on NDT.net (https://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?admin=&forenID=0&msgID=74319&rootID=74307#74319) there was discussion on the topic as well. J.B noted there are MANY papers on NDT.net that you need only search on the NDT.net search engine.
But perhaps people have missed an excellent remark by Amnol Birring on that same thread...
He advised to read about SAFT (synthetic aperture focussing technique). The acronyms TFM/FMC/IWEX/SPA seem to be attempts by the NDT industry to re-invent the SAFT process as their own. In fact the idea in ultrasonic imaging goes back to 1972 (C. B. Burckhardt, P.A. Grandchamp, and H. Hoffmann, "An Experimental 2Mhz Synthetic Aperture Sonar System Intended for Medical Use," IEEE Transactions on Sonics and Ultrasonics, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1-6, 1974).

victor
personal, Canada, Joined Mar 2019, 3

victor

personal,
Canada,
Joined Mar 2019
22:46 Mar-13-2019
In Reply to Patrick Tremblay at 15:33 Mar-13-2019 .

watts.victor1986@gmail.com

Could you please share the literature about TFM and also I read some document and I am confused about something.
I appreciate in short sentences explain that for me, what is the difference between a Phased array, VTFM, TFM and DDF including advantages and disadvantages on the weld joints?
Also, what is the difference these methods with respect to resolution, sensitivity, focusing, sizing and detection? (which technique is better for which one).

Patrick Tremblay
Sales, -
Zetec, Canada, Joined Nov 2010, 25

Patrick Tremblay

Sales, -
Zetec,
Canada,
Joined Nov 2010
16:41 Mar-14-2019
In Reply to victor at 22:46 Mar-13-2019 .

Victor, I just sent you some documentation by email. I hope you will find it interesting.

For anyone interested in the underlying physics of FMC/TFM, in addition to the webinar mentioned in my previous post and the many articles available on ndt.net (thanks for the references Mr. Ginzel!), a white paper can be downloaded from Zetec's website: https://www.zetec.com/advanced-focusing-techniques/

Product Spotlight

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Alpha Pro Digital Radiography System

The Alpha Pro digital X-ray system is the ideal system for your NDT \r\nneeds, as it offers amazin
g 16 bit images which enable the highest \r\nlevel of detection and identification of hairline cracks. While weighing only 3kg (6.6lbs), this panel has the largest imaging area: 35 X 43 cm (14X17 in).
>

Echomac® PA Rail Wheel Tester

MAC introduces two versions of Rail Wheel Testers using ECHOMAC® PA platform based on customer requ
irements.
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window