where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Rene
El Salvador, Joined Apr 2019, 3

Rene

El Salvador,
Joined Apr 2019
01:05 Apr-06-2019
DAC calibration using curved Block

Hi guys

I have a question

For UT shear wave weld inspection of butt weld on 2'' diameter piping, i can use basic calibration block given in ASME ,Figure T-434.3-2 for DAC curve, right? i will use the same material specification group P1.
Later, do a i need the dac offset curve al 6db and 12db for rejection criteria? or with the principal curve dac is enough?

thanks

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 191

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
22:21 Apr-06-2019
Re: DAC calibration using curved Block
In Reply to Rene at 01:05 Apr-06-2019 (Opening).

Hi Rene:

Yes, absolutely you can use the alternative block shown in Fig. T-434.3-2. You will need to generate a DAC/TCG, and then add 6dB of scanning gain as per T-471.4.1.

The rejection level (re: your 6dB or 12dB offset from reference) will depend on the code that you are inspecting to. If they are ASME B31.3 (process piping) welds, then the rejection level is actually the reference level (i.e. unless the indication breaks DAC, ignore it).

Rene
El Salvador, Joined Apr 2019, 3

Rene

El Salvador,
Joined Apr 2019
03:48 Apr-07-2019
In Reply to Paul Holloway at 22:21 Apr-06-2019 .

Thanks Paul,

I will examine a 1/4" thick overheating pipe, can i generate the DAC curve only with a 1mm side drill hole at half the thickness as reference level?

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 191

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
10:39 Apr-07-2019
In Reply to Rene at 03:48 Apr-07-2019 .

Unfortunately you won't be able to use a SDH. ASME states that the hole must be 38mm (1.5“) long and you simply won't be able to drill that on a 2" OD and 1/4" thick pipe. There's not enough material.

Product Spotlight

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

MIZ®-21C: Truly Affordable Eddy Current Handheld with Surface Array Capability

Introducing MIZ-21C, the first truly affordable handheld eddy current instrument with surface array
capabilities. MIZ-21C can deliver fast, accurate inspections in demanding NDT applications including aerospace, oil and gas, manufacturing, and power generation. The surface array solution can reduce inspection time by up to 95% compared to traditional handheld pencil probes. The ergonomic design, long battery life, and intuitive touchscreen mean you can inspect more areas faster than ever without fatigue.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window