where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Career Discussions
Steven
Other, Welding Inspector T.a
Swiber Offshore Construction , Brunei, Joined Mar 2014, 5

Steven

Swiber Offshore Construction ,
Brunei,
Joined Mar 2014
09:26 Mar-03-2014
CSWIP

Hey Guys,

I have been trying CSWIP 3.1 Welding Inspector Exam for 3 times and i still can't get it through. Any comment or any help for the exam. been trying to study hard and i still fail my General and Technology paper. Please assist me with this. if any 1 have any idea please email to me sching1104@gmail.com

Steven Doc
Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy, Egypt, Joined Feb 2011, 187

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
09:46 Mar-03-2014
Re: CSWIP
In Reply to Steven at 09:26 Mar-03-2014 (Opening).

Steven, given that you have had three attempts I would suggest that your experience/exposure is in adequate to support your study. The CSWIP examination is now multiple choice, therefore the answer is given to you, you only have to identify it. I would suggest gaining further experience and having some patience. As someone who has worked in the industry for over 25 years, there is nothing more dangerous than someone with a ticket but with no experience. If you really want to get certified, try CSWIP 3.0. Although I personally believe this to be a completely worthless ticket. At lease with 3.0 you would be in the scheme and have something to show for your efforts.

Aleem
India, Joined Oct 2013, 7

Aleem

India,
Joined Oct 2013
10:21 Mar-03-2014
In Reply to Steven at 09:26 Mar-03-2014 (Opening).

Hello My friend ,
As you have given 3 times exam.
I suggest you to take all 3 assessment result copy & compare in each area where you have to work hard & if,you requried any gudiance please post here so that experts respond you.

sching

sching

Brunei,
Joined Mar 2014
00:51 Mar-04-2014
In Reply to Steven Doc at 09:46 Mar-03-2014 .

Steven Doc - thank for the encouragement. But my site here i need at cert then will be more easy to find a job LOL.

Aleem - i have try to ask for the assessment result but TWI need to charge me a fee. abit fade up with TWI.. really need a guidance buddy :)

Aleem

Aleem

India,
Joined Oct 2013
05:37 Mar-04-2014
In Reply to sching at 00:51 Mar-04-2014 .

Hii,
They will give you a result copy in which it shows the total % you acuired in each topic.
If you need the full details (where you have attempt wrong answers) they will charge you

sching

sching

Brunei,
Joined Mar 2014
09:04 Mar-04-2014
In Reply to Aleem at 05:37 Mar-04-2014 .

Aleem - how do i ask from there? can you help? i mean a proper sentence thanks

Aleem

Aleem

India,
Joined Oct 2013
10:34 Mar-04-2014
In Reply to sching at 09:04 Mar-04-2014 .

zoom image
Please see the attachement for your reference.

Frank Lund
R & D,
United Kingdom, Joined Apr 2005, 219

Frank Lund

R & D,
United Kingdom,
Joined Apr 2005
11:00 Mar-04-2014

Nearly a quarter of a century ago, I remember seeing a bloke offshore wearing a tee-shirt printed with

Complete
Swindle
Wildly
Inflated
Prices

I don't think that he was very impressed with the organisation to which you refer.

Steve Doc
Other, Quality Manager

Steve Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
18:50 Mar-04-2014

sching, here is the rub. CSWIP 3.1 is a very easy examination to people with experience and background (Nowadays its 100% multi choice). It is not an entry level Certificate. Regardless of what your site needs, if after 3 attempts you cannot pass, I would suggest a career change. Unless of course the reality is that you have no experience.
TWI India and such other places are doing a good enough job with filling the marketplace with inexperienced Welding Inspectors (by inexperienced I mean no experience at all).
Do yourself a favour, either study the materials to such a degree that you can obtain 70% in all parts, or gather experience and you will find the exam a skoosh.

BTW, your site must be in a shocking condition when all they care about is someone having the certificate, not that the person has the certificate and is competent to carry out the duties.

Good luck in your endeavours. *thumbup*

sching

sching

Brunei,
Joined Mar 2014
03:18 Mar-05-2014
In Reply to Steve Doc at 18:50 Mar-04-2014 .

Aleem - Don't think TWI will Provide me this. even though i try to ask for Re-assessment
and they wanted to charge me 75pound (funny)

Steven Doc - Currently i working in Brunei. They (BSP) really need a cert, if no Cert at all we are not qualify at all. do you have email i can reply to?

ARUN
ARUN
07:49 Jan-22-2015
In Reply to sching at 03:18 Mar-05-2014 .

Hi all,

I sat for CSWIP 3.1 and passed 4 out of 5 papers. Failed my pipe practical with 67.5/100 which means 0.5 answer wrong from pass the whole Cswip 3.1

Sat again for my retest last month and today i received the result notice failed again. I have done preparation and I am working in fabrication yard as QC. I don't have any idea where is my mistake.

Today TWI in my country informed me I can ask for reassessment of practical paper if my mark is above 65%. Wonder why they never advice me during my initial test when my mark was 67.5. Now they are telling me I cant do reassessment for my initial exam but only the retest which i am waiting for my official result to know the marks.

Just shared my experience here with TWI.

Steven Doc
Other, Quality Manager

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
07:56 Jan-22-2015
In Reply to ARUN at 07:49 Jan-22-2015 .

Arun,
The appeal or reassessment procedure has been in place forever. It is not CSWIP's responsibility to make you aware of this it is your responsibility to understand the procedure for Examination.
I was in the same position as you 25 years ago. The fact of the matter was that back then my knowledge and experience was insufficient when compared against the 3.1 BOK.
Go for a reassessment if you wish, but if successful be mindful of the fact that your knowledge is severely lacking. You will need to work very hard to bring it up the the required level. Unfortunately in this industry, blaggards are identified with relative ease.

ArUn
ArUn
08:16 Jan-22-2015
In Reply to sching at 03:18 Mar-05-2014 .

Steven,

I believe to someone understand about welding and its principal will take years or even life long since everyday new technology about welding is innovated.

The reassessment issue during initial examination is already asked but the actual information i have received earlier is different. Also there is no reassessment procedure mentioned in any of TWI documents at the time of my enrollment.

Thank for your advice sir. I have seen this more as a challenge to master it than see it as a examination. There should be a part that I may not in line with the answering method. I shall learn that before going for next retest. Hope for a pass in second retest.

Steven Doc
Other, Quality Manager

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
12:11 Jan-22-2015
In Reply to ArUn at 08:16 Jan-22-2015 .

Arun,
The requirements for Certifying Welding Inspectors is CSWIP-WI-92, currently in the 12th Edition (I believe). Paragraph 4.6 on page 8 of the document clearly outlines the ability to appeal decisions leading to failure to certify.

Good luck next time around.

javed
javed
06:56 Mar-31-2015
In Reply to Steve Doc at 18:50 Mar-04-2014 .

I have been trying CSWIP 3.1 Welding Inspector Exam in 4 april 2014 for 1 times and i still can't get it through. Any comment or any help for the exam. been trying to study hard and i still fail my General and Technology paper. Please assist me with this. if any 1 have any idea please email to me ... sir how many time for re test exam?

HUHA
HUHA
07:31 Mar-31-2015
In Reply to javed at 06:56 Mar-31-2015 .

I recently sat for CSWIP and failed the initial. Then I did retest. Failed again. Then I did reassessment.

But after recheck my result with TWI UK I passed. Yes I passed. There were technical error from TWI side on marking my paper. The error is initially I got 20 marks less than my actual mark. Huge technical error you know. That doesn't mean TWI is trying to make some extra money. Just some TECHNICAL ERROR. I got all the proof in my email. We must understand TWI people are also not the perfect. They tend to do mistakes as well since they are also humans. When your result is out, please do the reassessment.

Thank You.

ASHOK KUMAR
ASHOK KUMAR
11:39 Apr-20-2015
In Reply to HUHA at 07:31 Mar-31-2015 .

My situation is really unbelievable. I appeared for CSWIP EXAM on 27 Feb and got my results passed on 5th Apr. After that daily I was checking for certificate status. But when I checked on 11 Apr to my disappointment i got failed on general papar. I appealed to TWI with screen shots reply was not in my favour. Normally General Paper is easy with direct questions & answers. Wonder how the result got changed in one week time. TWI aim is to train or earn. No wonder friends whether go write correct or wrong or appear for retest. TWI has to decide the result. Even god cant help you.

pass cswip
pass cswip
20:04 Aug-13-2015
In Reply to ASHOK KUMAR at 11:39 Apr-20-2015 .

Good Day !
Do you want to joint CSWIP 3.1 test but confuse with your preparation?
I presenting you TRY OUT CSWIP 3.1 WELDING INSPECTOR TEST
More than 1000 multiple choice questions and answers
Simulated with 30 questions and 30 minutes time limit
2015 CSWIP 3.1 General and Technology Examination updated
Price: only 95 US$
email: pass.cswip@gmail.com

sana
sana
16:07 Sep-28-2015

Hi Huha, mind to share how do you appeal for your test? I have not managed to get thru my tech paper.
I had full confidence that I would pass the exam but sadly I failed. Hope for the best.
TQVM

HUHA
HUHA
02:40 Sep-29-2015
In Reply to sana at 16:07 Sep-28-2015 .

Hi there,

Contact TWI UK directly to ask for your failure analysis report. They will provide to you, there you can see in which part you have failed. Reassessment only for Practical part with marks within 65 to 69.

Yet please check out with latest terms of TWI.

Regards,

MOHSIN
MOHSIN
07:38 Mar-08-2016

I have attended CSWIP 3.1 re-exam technology held on 25,Jan. 2016 in Abu Dhabi. marks % 68.33
please give me details re checking or reassessment. fee and other details

MUTHU KUMAR
MUTHU KUMAR
13:47 Jul-06-2016
In Reply to ARUN at 07:49 Jan-22-2015 .

Hii...I want do CSWIP. I'm completed mechanical engineering. Can I able to pass the CSWIP or not. This course is easy or not... Totally I'm confused... Please give me the some information. armuthukumar94@gmail.com this is my email I'd. 9715448556 this is my what's app number

Mark Anderson
United Kingdom, Joined Sep 2016, 8

Mark Anderson

United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2016
19:44 Sep-29-2016
In Reply to MUTHU KUMAR at 13:47 Jul-06-2016 .

Hi Guys

TWI provide plastic samples for plate and pipe and there are a lot of variations in them even though they all have the same answer, far too much subjectivity involved, the different in passing and failing could be that you measure a cap height of 3mm and the answer is 4mm etc,which i find despicable, there shouldn't be questions based around is it 4mm or is it 5mm or is it 3mm etc on plastic samples as your left down to whatever sample you get as you wether you pass or fail an exam

Gary Smith
United Kingdom, Joined Sep 2016, 1

Gary Smith

United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2016
21:08 Sep-29-2016
In Reply to Mark Anderson at 19:44 Sep-29-2016 .

I failed a plate test and passed the re-test, i was really angry because the first plate was plastic and was warped at the bottom compared to other peoples and i remember all through the course most people got different answers to the same plates because they were all a bit different

I found some of the questions a bit stupid, like, is it under 1mm under cut or is it over 1mm and obviously each moulding was different for some and different for others, and then having to say was it sharp or not sharp, far too subjective to be passing and failing people on, samples should have clear defects in and thats that, there should be zero subjectivity

Hamid Reza
Canada, Joined Oct 2016, 68

Hamid Reza

Canada,
Joined Oct 2016
11:39 Oct-29-2016
In Reply to Gary Smith at 21:08 Sep-29-2016 .

Let me share my experience with you guys.

I took the CSWIP 3.0 course and passed it. I attended the course with 11 other CSWIP 3.1 students. I myself am a person that pays too much attention to details... excessively above the normal level.

During practice sessions, I found out that the results I was getting was different from the verified answers, like many other students. The instructor was not caring much and recommended that I forgot about the mistakes as he thought the verified keys were wrong. I didn't like his attitude... another day I tried the first plate again and I found out that my answers were much better than before. I wasn't sure why. So I got suspicious of the accuracy of the gauges. I compared the Cambridge gauges and I found out that they were not calibrated. Some of them had worn of tips.

I notified the lecturer and people in examination/certification office. I was worried and I asked if I could bring my own gauge. They said that all the gauges for examination are calibrated and have better quality. I attended the examination and the first thing that I checked was the gauge. It yielded zero on a flat surface as opposed to many of the gauges for classroom training. So I started the examination.

The multiple choice questions' answers were not very close to my results. For example if the cap height in a multiple choice was in the range of:

Choice A: 1-2 mm
Choice B: 3-4 mm

I was reading something like 2.5 mm with my gauge.

Or if the undercut was something like:

Choice A: 0-1 mm
Choice B: 1-2 mm

I was reading something very close to 1. Like 1.2 or 0.8

I even remember reading a undercut which was a minus number!

I finished the questions but I was very worried... I examined the Cambridge gauge once again and I saw that the tip was not straight. The tip on the thinner dimension had 30~45 degrees relative to a flat surface. I requested a new gauge as I had time. Rechecked my plates results and 8 questions out of 20 were changed. I passed the exam with a percentage very close to %90 ( %87 or %88 I guess).

Unfortunately some of the CSWIP 3.1 students failed the practical examination. One of my friends got %67.5 in plate and %70 in pipe. I believe the practical examination is the easiest part and it really really doesn't require any skill. You can teach a 7 or 8 years old some welding definition like cap height, undercut, misalignment (angular and linear), ... etc, and I am sure he/she is going to pass the practical examination.

I myself believe that the inaccuracy and lack of calibration of the Cambridge gauges could be the main cause of failure in the practical examination. So next time, check the Cambridge on a flat surface first, and if it was ok, see if the tip is bent or straight.

I wrote these comments on the exam assessment report and I have also asked them to keep my first answer sheet. The people of TWI office in my country are going to discuss this in their next meeting and I myself am going to notify their Auditor who is visiting our country next week.

I am currently studying for the CSWIP Radiographic Interpretation course and I am running to similar problems.

Barry Mahoney
Barry Mahoney
18:16 Nov-02-2016
In Reply to Hamid Reza at 11:39 Oct-29-2016 .

TWI just steal money off people, they don't train you, they don't explain anything, on the course the invidulator who more often than not has less less knowledge than the candiates, just sits down and goes through exactly the same slides that you have in front of you, it's a mass money making scam they have been at now for about 20 years, believe it or not TWI used to do decent courses and have decent guys doing the training

The samples they have pre exam, everyone passes 100%, then magically come the exam samples, 95% of people seem to fail, there is a reason for this, the questions are set up and the multi choice is set up in a way they can easily fail you, if you put the undercut is 1mm, they can easily just state is was 2 if you state it's not sharp or sharp the same, if you declare mechanical damage sharp, they can fail you saying it wasn't sharp (even if there is no real world measurement for sharp), same with all the dims, you put 3, hey say 2mm etc

It's a ludicrous tolerance set up to be failing or passing people over , a 1mm or so and especially so on mass produced plastic samples they have been used umpteen times and have new and deeper depressions in these areas from constant use

Thing is, they get away with it, because they are industry accepted, they make hundreds of thousands from people failing and having to resit exams and courses over nonsense like a mm here or there

Personally i cannot accept that TWI mark their own papers, as you seriously have to ask questions when the exam body marking the papers are the same as the people running the course and the pass rate is abysmally low, how in UK law do they get away with that, it's a cash cow, passing or failing this nonsense of a course has nothing to do with your ability to be a welding inspector, it's just a silly little certificate that cost you £2000 that looks good on your CV, the sooner industry sees TWI for what they are , the better

neil cox

neil cox

United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2016
13:33 Nov-06-2016
In Reply to Barry Mahoney at 18:16 Nov-02-2016 .

If people think that CSWIP 3.1 certification is anything other than a TWI 'membership' scheme they are deluded imho

Passing or failing it has nothing to do with your ability to be a decent welding inspector imho, the fact some people think they have 'made it' just because of a 5 year membership they have paid £2k for sums up TWI's influence in the industry

neil cox

neil cox

United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2016
13:38 Nov-06-2016
In Reply to Hamid Reza at 11:39 Oct-29-2016 .

Eager Beaver

The reason they have tight tolerances in the practicals is so if the pass rate for the class is too high they can just mark a lot of candiates down so they have to pay for resits and future exams, this sounds unbelieveably synical , but it's the only logical way you can explain why some people get really high marks in plate or pipe and fail miserably in the other, people failing exams is a decent way to keep bringing in the cash, TWI made close to £100,000,000 last year

Steven Doc
Other, Quality Manager

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
16:04 Nov-06-2016
In Reply to neil cox at 13:38 Nov-06-2016 .

This thread is giving me a belly full of laughs.
No scheme is perfect, but CSWIP intentionally failing candidates? Like the old driving test Friday afternoon failures eh! I have had straight passes and multiple failures in the scheme, always my own fault.

BTW anyone who equates certification to competence needs to re evaluate their understanding.

neil cox

neil cox

United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2016
16:26 Nov-06-2016
In Reply to Steven Doc at 16:04 Nov-06-2016 .

Any exam that has a high degree of 'subjectivity' in it would raise an alarm for me, because according to BSEN17024 the exam and it's entire contents have to be objectively true, i know loads of lads in the industry who have been given exactly the same samples pieces in an exam that they got 100% on in the course practicals and still failed the exam and magically passed the resit, if you think there is nothing suspicious in that, then your deluded, regardless of how many times you have passed your examination personally

It's well known how morally corupt TWI are, the standard of training is an absolute joke and confirmed by nearly all the people on the courses, including myself, the last time i was there on a coating course the invigulator didn't even bother coming in for the last 3 days and we were forced to just study alone

TWI mark there own exams, so if you think that's an acceptable way to qualify inspection personel with certification, you obviously think little of objectivity

neil cox

neil cox

United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2016
17:03 Nov-06-2016
In Reply to Steven Doc at 16:04 Nov-06-2016 .

'Candidates who are unsuccessful in the retest will be required to re-take the full approved course followed by the full examination

This is from the TWI CSWIP WI-92 document

A licence to print money, if you looked past your own personal feelings about it Steve and looked objectively at it, you will see it

mark their own papers, if you fail a ret-test, another £2k and so on, morally bankrupt organization, of that there is no doubt

Steven Doc
Other, Quality Manager

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
20:26 Nov-06-2016
In Reply to neil cox at 17:03 Nov-06-2016 .

Neil, if I didn't know better I would be thinking that TWI slept with your wife.

Ye seem on a one man crusade on this forum. I will leave ye too it. Good luck on the resits ;-)

Prinz
Nigeria, Joined Nov 2016, 2

Prinz

Nigeria,
Joined Nov 2016
22:40 Nov-14-2016
In Reply to Steven Doc at 20:26 Nov-06-2016 .

a very good day to you sir, i will be writing my cswip 3.1 exam by december and this is going to be my first time, though i have a less than 2yr working experience as a welding inspector. please are there any examination/study tips that you can give me, especially on the practical papers, i will also appreciate if any one can help me out with study materials especially for the practical parts. thanks in anticipation

Hamid Reza
Canada, Joined Oct 2016, 68

Hamid Reza

Canada,
Joined Oct 2016
12:16 Nov-15-2016
In Reply to Prinz at 22:40 Nov-14-2016 .

Dear Prinz,

Send me an email and I will share with you very good quality materials.

Vedran
Vedran
06:09 Dec-16-2016
In Reply to Hamid Reza at 12:16 Nov-15-2016 .

Hello there. I am a bit confused after reading posts written here so I would like so pop some questions.. As graduated mech. engineer with 8 years of experience in pipelines erection (NPP Olkiluoto Finland, TPPs in CZ, Poland, Oil platform, NPP Krsko etc) I am planing to take CSWIP 3.1 directly (as I did not take 3.0).. I have CSWIP 3.1 literature with some exam questions as well as 3.0 literature. I am studding carefully 3.1 literature but also I will study 3.0 (as I was advised to do so by my friends who are 3.1, especially welding consumables part).
I want to ask here:
- is written above a good approach?
- does my 3.1 literature (dating from 2004.) reflecting what is present in 3.1 literature nowadays?
- is anyone willing to share some recent literature/exam questions with me?

My email is vazdajicATgmailDOTcom so if someone if willing to help, please do contact me.

PS: I am going to take 3.1 at Johannesburg in JAN.2017.

Sunday Philip
Sunday Philip
14:33 Apr-25-2018
In Reply to Hamid Reza at 12:16 Nov-15-2016 .

I have cswip3.1 exam in 5 weeks to come. would you please help me with any material that can help me ace the practical aspect of it.
thank you.

GEORGE
GEORGE
20:48 Apr-16-2019

Dear Huma,

Are you sure that you passed the exam after re-assessment.
May i know that you did re-assessment in which paper from CSWIP 3.1 Welding exam.

Can anybody tell me that is it possible for THEORY re-assessment.??

Azam Khan
Azam Khan
21:01 May-30-2019
In Reply to GEORGE at 20:48 Apr-16-2019 .

I am planning to take CSWIP 3.1 in August 2019, I don't have any experiance in welding industry, However I have read entire 3.1 learning material which is available on TWI Website. Can anybody please help me to suggest what other learning material I should focun on. Please send me an email If anybody have questions or other learning material.

Email: azamkhan1a1@gmail.com

Product Spotlight

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

X-ray CT aids research into defect formation in AM parts

X-ray CT is used to research how additive manufacturing process parameters influence defect format
ion in AM parts.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window