where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Ultrasonic Sciences Ltd
We specialize in the design and manufacture of automated and semi-automated ultrasonic testing systems, including multi axis, multi channels systems and phased array electronics.

Technical Discussions
Amir
Amir
05:05 Apr-17-2019
CIVA

Has anyone experienced about simulation of slag inclusion by CIVA software ?
How can I put dimensions of the defect on the model?
and how can I interperate the signal?
and
at the end, how can I extract the signal amplitude for pod study?

Thanks,
Amir

Edward Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1252

Edward Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
13:51 Apr-17-2019
Re: CIVA
In Reply to Amir at 05:05 Apr-17-2019 (Opening).

Amir, are you a user of Civa? Do you have a copy of the software in your place of work?
Your posts on this forum seem to imply you have the software (e.g. how to extract signal amplitude for POD), yet the answers you are asking for would normally be had with a basic course from Extende on the use of Civa.
As for the reliability of Civa, you can look at many technical reports and studies posted on the internet, many are collected in one location at http://www.extende.com/publications
In the QNDE Benchmark papers for UT, you will find that the Civa simulations are typically within 2dB of the experimental results. This is the same sort of small variation that can exist between any 2 instruments.
Civa offers several methods of flaw simulation including multifaceted, branched, and 2D surface breaking flaws. YOu could also import 3D CAD files.
Reproducing all the many possible facets of slag is not reasonably feasible. Besides, you would need full details of the shape if you wanted to get to that level of detail.
In addition to the papers found on the website I indicted above, you will also find a paper where I used an old version of Civa (Civa 10) and the features of "multi-faceted defect" to construct simulations of slag in a GMAW weld https://www.ndt.net/article/ndtnet/2011/1_Ginzel.pdf. There you will see that although the model provided reproductions within 2dB for most channels and 2 varied by 4dB. This is quite close considering the shape of the slag surface in the length dimension was not possible to ascertain from a single slice macro image.

If you are struggling with the process to generate POD analysis in Civa I recommend attending a course on the subject (you can contact Extende for details).

Product Spotlight

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window