where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Brian A Wright
Brian A Wright
18:04 Apr-17-2019
KDS Twin Panel Sensitivity and System Performance

Good Morning,

I am inquiring ideas and comments in regards to utilizing KDS twin panels for my sensitivity check.

The scenario is as follows, 10-12 minute development time with Level 2 sensitivity penetrant, a good minimal washing technique. I have looked at the panels under an inspection black light, and note that I can see indications bleeding out. I have tried blotting, wash station air water removal (15 PSI), and running the panels in a oven dryer only, with R&D of 1 min to 5 minutes.

After drying I have reviewed that panels and noted indications and sometimes minimal,

I am using a dry developer booth and have tried both minimum and of 10 minutes and up to 1 hour.

The indicati0ons are not being visible, I then can take the panels, wipe them off with a wipe, and or clean them with cleaner, and the indications, bleed out with brilliance.

In addition utilizing a non aqueous developer spray also brings the indications out to full brilliance. Which by comparison it is known that the non aqueous is more sensitive than dry and is expected.

So with this information, which direction would you focus to assist the indications bleed out in a consistent and reliable process.

Thanks for your input and suggestions, Brian

Godfrey Hands
Engineering,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 291

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
09:46 Apr-22-2019
Re: KDS Twin Panel Sensitivity and System Performance
In Reply to Brian A Wright at 18:04 Apr-17-2019 (Opening).

Hi Brian,
After the penetrant dwell of 10 to 12 minutes and minimal wash, do not "blot" the panels, but just remove excess water with a gentle stream of air before you dry the panels in a circulating air oven set at not more than about 60 Celsius.
After this, apply a light coating of dry developer and allow 10 minutes development time before you remove excess dry developer with a gentle stream of air or by tapping the panels on their side.
You should then be able to see the indications

Godfrey

Product Spotlight

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

X-ray CT aids research into defect formation in AM parts

X-ray CT is used to research how additive manufacturing process parameters influence defect format
ion in AM parts.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window