where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

PBP Optel sp. z o.o.
Weare searching new ways - in ultrasonic techniques- in creation of new productsUltrasonic instruments - Ultrasonic Testing Card
Technical Discussions
saroj
saroj
12:58 Apr-21-2019
TCG

what is better to use side drilled hole or notche when calibrating for piping inspection? is it possible to create TCG by using side drill hole?

Clair D'El Rei
NDT Inspector,
I am looking for a new opportunity in the labor market and I accept proposals from other countries i, Brazil, Joined Feb 2019, 15

Clair D'El Rei

NDT Inspector,
I am looking for a new opportunity in the labor market and I accept proposals from other countries i,
Brazil,
Joined Feb 2019
14:52 Apr-22-2019
Re: TCG
In Reply to saroj at 12:58 Apr-21-2019 (Opening).

The standards API 1104, ASME B31.3 and B31.6, request the use of notch and with curvature and thickness of the same diameter of the tube to be inspected, and how much the TCG, it is possible yes, since it is an electronic correction of the DAC , ie the entire DAC will be at the same height of the device's screen.

Pratik Wagh (NDT Video Library)
Consultant,
NDT Video Library on YouTube, USA, Joined Oct 2011, 23

Pratik Wagh (NDT Video Library)

Consultant,
NDT Video Library on YouTube,
USA,
Joined Oct 2011
18:09 May-01-2019
In Reply to saroj at 12:58 Apr-21-2019 (Opening).

You can do Wedge Delay calibration with a radius block or side drilled holes, Initial Sensitivity and TCG with side drilled holes. and final sensitivity with the notches on the appropriate curved blocks.

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 184

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
21:42 May-01-2019
In Reply to Clair D'El Rei at 14:52 Apr-22-2019 .

zoom image

PH Tool ERVW blocks

API 1104 (2018) requires notches and also flat bottom holes if performing automated UT.

ASME B31.1 (power piping), B31.3 (process piping) both refer to ASME Sec. V Article 4 for ultrasonic technique, which permits *either* notches or side-drilled holes.

Here is an excerpt from ASME Sec V Art 4:

T-434.3 Piping Calibration Blocks. The basic calibration block configuration and reflectors shall be as shown in Figure T-434.3-1 or the alternate provided in Figure T-434.3-2 where curvature and/or wall thickness permits.

Side-drilled holes (as seen in the attached image) can easily be used for making a TCG. Notches will create a steep "bump" in attenuation starting around 60 degrees because of mode conversion. This isn't necessarily a bad thing in the end, but can be problematic when calibrating because the uncorrected signal will be weak around that angle (as you are calibrating, but before you hit "accept" and all the TCG correction takes effect).

I wrote an article on it here:

http://www.hollowayndt.com/news/2018/11/27/notches-vs-side-drilled-holes-chapter-1-echo-dynamics

Contrary to popular belief, using notches does not enhance your ability to detect certain types of discontinuities.

Product Spotlight

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window