where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
saroj
NDT Inspector,
KNDT UAE TECHNO INSPECTION LLC, Nepal, Joined Apr 2019, 6

saroj

NDT Inspector,
KNDT UAE TECHNO INSPECTION LLC,
Nepal,
Joined Apr 2019
09:38 May-14-2019
depth location tolerance

when i calibrate for weld scan usually i have been calibrating velocity, wedge delay and sensitivity . after that i create the TCG. everything goes normally but when i check the depth of well known side drilled hole it shows lesser than actual. but there is not big difference. when i check 25mm depth hole it shows 22 mm. is it acceptable? if not how i can manage that? please anyone do help me. thanks.

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 690

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
16:34 May-14-2019
Re: depth location tolerance
In Reply to saroj at 09:38 May-14-2019 (Opening).

should be within +/- 1 mm

NOUFEL.T.MUHAMMED
NOUFEL.T.MUHAMMED
19:21 May-15-2019

I think if your wedge delay calibration is ok,then depth should show correctly.
when checking the depth by taking an indication from a reflector you should position your angle cursor in S scan at the centre of the indication and thickness of the block should be given.

Edward Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1252

Edward Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
21:47 May-15-2019

Noufel points out a good concern with the wedge delay. In addition to that I might mention that the reading you get on the display is based on the maximum amplitude position. This will be at the outer edge of the Side Drilled Hole and you usually state the depth of the hole based on its centre. As a result, the signal from the outer surface will be less than the nominal depth which is based on the centre.
Another factor is the beam dimension. If the hole is in the near field you may find that the maximum pressure is at back of the beam and not on the beam nominal centreline. This too may cause a slightly lower reading than the nominal hole depth.

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 690

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
23:59 May-16-2019

You must have set your tolerance as +/- 3 mm when making the wedge delay. Set to +/- 2 mm and redo wedge delay

Product Spotlight

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window