where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

PBP Optel sp. z o.o.
Weare searching new ways - in ultrasonic techniques- in creation of new productsUltrasonic instruments - Ultrasonic Testing Card

Technical Discussions
Roberto Bellomio
IMSA, Argentina, Joined Feb 2019, 2

Roberto Bellomio

IMSA,
Argentina,
Joined Feb 2019
20:53 May-14-2019
Ultrasonic test austenitic cast steels
zoom image

Hi, tks for all. i want to ask whats norm can i use to UT Test in this material. attached drawing

Pedro A. Serruto Gamboa
Director, Level II UT, PT
Red Code Quality, Peru, Joined Sep 2013, 81

Pedro A. Serruto Gamboa

Director, Level II UT, PT
Red Code Quality,
Peru,
Joined Sep 2013
02:24 May-15-2019
Re: Ultrasonic test austenitic cast steels
In Reply to Roberto Bellomio at 20:53 May-14-2019 (Opening).

Dear Roberto, are you looking for an acceptance criteria or method of inspection? You can try to read ASME V Art. 5: Ultrasonic Examination Methods for Materials (for Methods of inspections) and for acceptance criteria, you have to make and agreement with the customer the most of the times, or what say the manufacturer.

Clair D'El Rei
NDT Inspector,
I am looking for a new opportunity in the labor market and I accept proposals from other countries i, Brazil, Joined Feb 2019, 15

Clair D'El Rei

NDT Inspector,
I am looking for a new opportunity in the labor market and I accept proposals from other countries i,
Brazil,
Joined Feb 2019
16:49 May-15-2019

I agree with what the colleague commented on, but it is also necessary to check which design standard the piece or equipment is designed for.

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 720

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
17:17 May-18-2019

Very difficult material to inspect. You will nee to use L-waves only and low freq

tiziano ceccon
Consultant,
Italy, Joined Feb 2011, 14

tiziano ceccon

Consultant,
Italy,
Joined Feb 2011
14:25 May-20-2019
In Reply to Anmol Birring at 17:17 May-18-2019 .

Ultrasonic testing of cast austenitic stainless steel is not basically feasible expecially on the piece in object. I point up "cast " and not "hot rolled or forging of ASS". There is a lot of reason why this methode is not applicable. In particular: (1) a cast structure of ASS have a highest dB/mm attenuation (2) the kind of solidification ( from liquid to solid) generates a particular structural morphology made of coarse grains and large dendrites resulting in highest noise. In other words no back ground echo .(3) Even using a low frequency longitudinal probe such as F= 0,5 - 1 Mhz , you should be forced to use large diameter one and this is not applicable to the piece of this thickness due the large width of the pulse and/or dead zone. Finally, the orientation of cast structure will give a different results in terms of dB /mm.

Roberto Bellomío
IMSA, Argentina, Joined Feb 2019, 2

Roberto Bellomío

IMSA,
Argentina,
Joined Feb 2019
20:46 May-20-2019
In Reply to tiziano ceccon at 14:25 May-20-2019 .

Download Norma CCh-70-3

Hello, thank you for your answers, I agree with tiziano ceccon, I could not find any rule about it.
I share this document with you as a suggestion by Pedro A. Serruto Gamboa.
Regards.-
Roberto.

tiziano ceccon
Consultant,

tiziano ceccon

Consultant,
Italy,
Joined Feb 2011
15:44 May-21-2019
In Reply to Roberto Bellomío at 20:46 May-20-2019 .

Roberto,
the annex Norma is not applicable to cast austenic stainless steel (ASS). Just a look to page 44 you can verify that it refers to ferritic and martensitic SS. In the same Norma, it make not sense the sentence refered to cast austenitic and duplex SS at pag.43 ( ""Special measured must be specified by parts involved""). Special measured means "miracle" ? Why not inform that cast austenitic SS cannot be test by UT due to the reasons reperted to my previous mail ? A minimum of knowledge of metallurgie of stainless steels should be required to technicians (3 level) that generate this Norma.

BRUNO ZILLI
Italy, Joined Apr 2018, 4

BRUNO ZILLI

Italy,
Joined Apr 2018
20:55 May-21-2019
In Reply to tiziano ceccon at 15:44 May-21-2019 .

Download Ass castings

Hello Roberto

Yes I agree with the comments before. This is not a trivial issue, but I trust the idea that the harder is the job, the more intresting is.
Please take a trip on the doc I've attached. If you think this doc intresting for your task, Ive got some references for probe producers I tested in a recent past.

Regards

Bruno Zilli
Level 3 ut

tiziano ceccon
Consultant,

tiziano ceccon

Consultant,
Italy,
Joined Feb 2011
15:44 May-22-2019
In Reply to BRUNO ZILLI at 20:55 May-21-2019 .

Bruno, thank you for EJAM Annex.
As you know there is a lot of technical papers about this subject in NDT.net and the conclusion of these papers are +/- the same.
About EJAM annex, the Authors do not inform about the kind of ASS of Nuclear reactor in service. They said is the same of specimens. It is important to know the steel grade because , during the service, there is a precipitation phases and/or intermetallics in austenitic structure and at interface ferrite stingers/austenitic grains.The UT waves have a different behaviour in these conditions. Therefore, UT wave propagation and coeficient of attenaution ( dB/mm) could be very different. Just to say that the results obtained in the specimens could be very "far " when compared to the structure of reactor in service. An austenic grade such as 316 will have a structural different behaviour compared to a Super-austenitic or Ni -alloy structure. All thes ones have a austenitic structure but their structure ,after long lasting aging, will be different also in terms of behaviour in UT testing due to intermetallics, phase and coarse grain and so on. At end of story, the CASS is one of UT trouble even if the PA and next/future probles will reduce difficulties and inprove the capabilty of indications capabiltiy.

BRUNO ZILLI
Italy, Joined Apr 2018, 4

BRUNO ZILLI

Italy,
Joined Apr 2018
17:54 May-22-2019
In Reply to tiziano ceccon at 15:44 May-22-2019 .

Hello Tiziano

Yes the didnt specify the metallurgical structure, they noticed that the test had been made on both welded and thermically aged cass. To do a complete report, they should have reported the grain size and intermetallic phases. Probably they did it.
But in my opinion the conlclusion is intresting for us. The pod with traditional ut would be high, and sizing with customized double large probes too.
Now, it's up to Roberto. If the work is worth, there are producers around the world to make such probes.
Had He needed some references, I would have been glad to give him some names.

Regards

Bruno Zilli

Product Spotlight

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window