where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

PBP Optel sp. z o.o.
Weare searching new ways - in ultrasonic techniques- in creation of new productsUltrasonic instruments - Ultrasonic Testing Card

Technical Discussions
Richard Eom
South Korea, Joined Dec 2018, 7

Richard Eom

South Korea,
Joined Dec 2018
10:45 May-23-2019
Thickness gauge

Good afternoon experts.

Currently Im using olympus LTC and 38DL for thickness measure.
These two product is recordable and trustful compare to other products.
But LTC is now discontenance and 38DL is too slow compare the LTC.
So my question is that do any experts know products for thickness measure?
the product should be :
1. Recordable
2. Fast
3. Accurate
4. Sound wave should be shown in the screen

If any experts know, please write below

Sudheer Jai Krishnan
Other,
Olympus, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Joined Sep 2018, 17

Sudheer Jai Krishnan

Other,
Olympus,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Sep 2018
15:59 May-23-2019
Re: Thickness gauge
In Reply to Richard Eom at 10:45 May-23-2019 (Opening).

Hi Richard

Good day. Can you please explain a bit more when you say that 38 DL PLUS is too slow ? When you switch on the unit , what version of the software/firmware do you see ?

laurie
Australia, Joined Feb 2019, 7

laurie

Australia,
Joined Feb 2019
02:59 May-24-2019

If you are using for single spot measurements then the default pulse repetition rate will be fine.
If you are scanning then you need to set it to fast mode which is 30 readings per second and that is way fast enough even at 2m per minute.
What exactly is slow about it?

Paul Holloway
Consultant, UT Level 3
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 169

Paul Holloway

Consultant, UT Level 3
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
14:54 May-24-2019

Yes, the 38DLP is the ubiquitous thickness gauge. It's fast, rugged, and battery life is great. The LTC is a flaw detector built into the same chassis. The software on the LTC can be a little buggy, but they are usually just visual artifacts and don't affect performance. These are rare occurrences anyways.

I agree with Laurie, if you find the 38 too slow, you're doing something wrong. Check the measurement rate.

Richard Eom

Richard Eom

South Korea,
Joined Dec 2018
10:56 May-30-2019
In Reply to laurie at 02:59 May-24-2019 .

What I have said about 38DL is that when I press save or some other commands, the Process is slower than LTC. In our company we measure a 1,000 points at one day with LTC but using 38DL, this won't be done like LTC.
In addition, I agree that LTC is litle Buggy so We are looking for alternative product which can show us the wave and measure thickness with saving mode.

Sudheer Jai Krishnan
Other,

Sudheer Jai Krishnan

Other,
Olympus,
Joined Sep 2018
11:03 May-30-2019
In Reply to Richard Eom at 10:56 May-30-2019 .

Hello Richard

Please let us know what is the version of the 38DLP. You can find it when you switch on the instrument.

V1.20 is the latest firmware

Richard Eom

Richard Eom

South Korea,
Joined Dec 2018
03:45 May-31-2019
In Reply to Sudheer Jai Krishnan at 11:03 May-30-2019 .

I checked my 38DL's version and it was 1.20v which it's latest. Since many people are using 38DL for Thickness gauge I want to know how I should do to make 38DL fast like LTC or other thickness gauge.

Sudheer Jai Krishnan
Other,

Sudheer Jai Krishnan

Other,
Olympus,
Joined Sep 2018
07:33 Jun-01-2019
In Reply to Richard Eom at 03:45 May-31-2019 .

Hi Richard

Can you kindly check the measure rate as you are mentioning that the unit is slow to take measurements?

The max update rate is 30Hz and minimum is 4Hz . Please keep it to max and then try to take the readings?

1.SETUP MENU

2.Select MEAS

3.Select MEASURE RATE and then change

Let us know how it works?

Regards

Sudheer

Laurie

Laurie

Australia,
Joined Feb 2019
07:37 Jun-02-2019
In Reply to Richard Eom at 03:45 May-31-2019 .

When you press save there shouldn't be any noticeable delay.
1st thing to try would be a Master Reset.
See if there's a difference between saving just the value compared to saving the waveform as well.
Run full diagnostics and especially the memory tests.
If you're using an external memory card remove it and see if you still have the same problem - could be a faulty external memory card.
The 38DL+ is a terrific unit and with 25 years experience I've never had any Olympus thickness/corrosion gauge, 26DL, 36DL, 37DL, 38DL, MG Series, slow me or any of my employees down.
If none of these works then it might actually be faulty and you might consider sending it in for service.

Richard Eom

Richard Eom

South Korea,
Joined Dec 2018
02:21 Jun-07-2019
In Reply to Laurie at 07:37 Jun-02-2019 .

The main reason that I said 38DL is slow is that 38DL should adjust the signal in ideally.
Compare to LTC, LTC can read the signal even if the signal is low. When we inspect in the field, the surface is not the smooth so signal might be small but LTC shows the signal which we can recognize the signal and we can collect the data. On the other hand, 38DL detect automatically but the signal should be strong or in good position. This is the reason of 38DL. Can some experts solve this problem?

laurie

laurie

Australia,
Joined Feb 2019
09:01 Jun-07-2019
In Reply to Richard Eom at 02:21 Jun-07-2019 .

Hi Richard,
Sorry to say but you have to drive the machine to get it to do what you want rather than letting the automated settings drive you crazy.
1st - you need to have different probes for different thicknesses. One probe isn't going to give you good results for every job. Start with a D798 for 1-10mm, D790 for 10-20mm, D797 for 20+. There is overlap between these probes but this is what I'd say would be a minimum. You also need these different probes to avoid the cross talk/surface wave when using echo to echo at somewhere around 13mm for the D798 and 21mm for the D790 which makes measurement impossible with these probes on painted surfaces around these thicknesses. Check where your cross-talk is on a 100mm calibration block.
2nd - are the surfaces of your probes smooth? If the Perspex is even slightly below the outer metal casing then the signal will be reduced and won't be stable and you need to sand it back to 80% smooth with the metal casing.
3rd - When doing piping make sure the insulator is across the axis and rock slightly back and forth until you get good transmission across the two elements.
4th - For rough surfaces use thicker gel, use a larger probe, wire brush off any rust, dirt or loose paint, as a last resort you may have to improve the surface if its too rough. This applies to all ultrasonic instruments.
5th - Turn off the automatic gauge and increase the gain manually. If the automatic gating gives you different numbers you can mess about all day with the gain or just read the display to verify which number is correct.
I hope some of this helps.

Richard Eom

Richard Eom

South Korea,
Joined Dec 2018
02:37 Jun-10-2019
In Reply to laurie at 09:01 Jun-07-2019 .

Thank you for the solution you have written.

I have question about the manual gate. Can you tell me how I can make it as manually??

laurie

laurie

Australia,
Joined Feb 2019
04:12 Jun-10-2019
In Reply to Richard Eom at 02:37 Jun-10-2019 .

The gating is not like a flaw detector but you can get it to gate where you want by a combination of extended blank and gain control.

If there are reflections from the rough surface that it is gating on then you can add in some extended blank to ignore the first few millimetres but you have to keep watching the screen to ensure that there's not a pit or sudden reduction in thickness.

This is the similar to a flaw detector that you have to move the gate around to match a varying thickness.

Turn off extended blank as soon as you're finished with it.

Product Spotlight

I&T Nardoni

NDT, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW METHODOLOGY, TRAINING CENTER I&T NARDON INSTITUTE was idiated
in 1988 by Giuseppe Nardoni, now president and owner of the company, based on his multi-annual and international experience in the field of NDT.
>

TVC awarded UKAS accreditation

TVC are delighted to finally announce we have been awarded UKAS accreditation for our calibration
laboratory. Laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 enables us to conduct the Electrical Verification of Ultrasonic Flaw Detection Equipment to BS EN 12668-1:2010. It has taken many months of hard work and we want to thank our staff for all their efforts during this massive undertaking.
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window