where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Matec Instrument Companies, Inc.
Ultrasonic test instrumentation and systems for scientific research, quality control inspection and production testing applications.

Technical Discussions
engo
engo
16:57 Jun-10-2019
Guided Wave Ultrasonic Testing (GWUT) Thickness range

Hi all;

I need some help regarding the use of the Guided Wave Ultrasonic Testing (GWUT).

We are in the design phase of a pipeline system that include a guard pipe containing 4 process pipes (all pipes made of SS 316L) .

Some of the process pipes have very low thickness range (please see attached table)

Function Outside diameter (mm)/ Thickness (mm)
Guard pipe 114 3,6
Process pipe 1 21,3 2,9
Process pipe 2 12 1,5

According to this thickness and diameters range and pipe disposition, my question is;

- Is the Guided Wave Ultrasonic Testing (GWUT) feasible for the Process pipes and Guard
Pipes?

- If GWUT can´t be used, does anybody know any other NDT useful for detecting
corrosion and metal loss in this pipe system?

Many thanks

Keith Thornicroft
Engineering,
Eddyfi Technologies, Canada, Joined Jan 2018, 2

Keith Thornicroft

Engineering,
Eddyfi Technologies,
Canada,
Joined Jan 2018
19:38 Jun-10-2019
Re: Guided Wave Ultrasonic Testing (GWUT) Thickness range
In Reply to engo at 16:57 Jun-10-2019 (Opening).

Hi Engo,

Yes, GWT can definitely be applied here.

Thickness does alter the cut-off frequencies of the flexural wave modes associated with your test, but if you operate above approximately 35kHz for the first two cases and roughly 25kHz for the third you should be able to receive good data (assuming the pipe condition generally is satisfactory).

The geometry of your array; ring spacing and transducer orientation will dictate your test schedule though. Your chosen acquisition software should be able to point the user to a recommended list of test frequencies to use.

Let me know how you get on.

Best of luck!

Keith

engo
engo
11:21 Jun-11-2019
In Reply to Keith Thornicroft at 19:38 Jun-10-2019 .

Many thanks for your reply Keith;

I have just seen my post, and pipe´s dimensions are not clear, just for clarification find below dimensions again.

Diameter / Thickness

Guard pipe 114 mm / 3,6 mm
Process pipe 1 21,3 mm / 2,9 mm
Process pipe 2 12 mm / 1,5 mm

Thanks in advanced

Keith Thornicroft
Engineering,
Eddyfi Technologies, Canada, Joined Jan 2018, 2

Keith Thornicroft

Engineering,
Eddyfi Technologies,
Canada,
Joined Jan 2018
18:00 Jun-17-2019
In Reply to engo at 11:21 Jun-11-2019 .

Hi Engo,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I see now, the geometry for guard pipe is still OK for a standard guided wave test as long as the test frequency is above 35 kHz.

The smaller diameter process pipes would be possible with a bespoke tool and special procedures. If you would like to explore a potential solution, feel free to DM me your details and I can get you in touch with someone this end.

Keith

Product Spotlight

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Echomac® PA Rail Wheel Tester

MAC introduces two versions of Rail Wheel Testers using ECHOMAC® PA platform based on customer requ
irements.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window