where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

IMechE Engineering Training Solutions
IMechE Argyll Ruane is based in a multi-million pound Engineering Training Centre, just outside Sheffield city centre with excellent local amenit ...
Technical Discussions
Steve Amspacher
NDT Inspector,
Bridge Industry, USA, Joined Jun 2019, 2

Steve Amspacher

NDT Inspector,
Bridge Industry,
USA,
Joined Jun 2019
17:24 Aug-14-2019
velocity of different steels

I am not having much luck in my research. does anyone have any input on the velocity of different steels. i work in the bridge industry and use alot of A709 or M270. my question is in regards to the different grades 50, 50w, 70w, 70hps. are the velocities different for all of these?if so is it a big enough difference to effect my sensitivity and angle calibration for UT? any input is welcomed. i currently use the type2 iiw block for cal.

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 738

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
20:40 Aug-17-2019
Re: velocity of different steels
In Reply to Steve Amspacher at 17:24 Aug-14-2019 (Opening).

All carbon steels have practically the same velocity. Austenitic stainless is slightly different

Ali
NDT Inspector,
Iran, Joined Mar 2013, 97

Ali

NDT Inspector,
Iran,
Joined Mar 2013
13:07 Aug-18-2019
In Reply to Steve Amspacher at 17:24 Aug-14-2019 (Opening).

It depends on material fabrication process.if the material is anisotropic it will change velocity and angle of beams.this happen usually in large diameter pipes in pipline , for example pipe is 5LX65 and carbon steel, because of production process and heat treatment,material grains will be anisotropic and velocity of shear wave will be around 3.350 up to 3.4 mm per micro second instead of 3.230.
also if the same material change to seamless (specially thick pipes and small diameter ) cause of different production process it would be coarse grain and very attenutive. It is better to prepare calibration block from the material that we are going to inspect.if you dont have access to the material, you can perform transfer correction on both cal block and production weld base metals to get similar velocity and sensitivity.
Also check below article from Mr Ed Ginzel.

https://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?id=21545

Ali
NDT Inspector,
Iran, Joined Mar 2013, 97

Ali

NDT Inspector,
Iran,
Joined Mar 2013
13:18 Aug-18-2019
In Reply to Ali at 13:07 Aug-18-2019 .

This link is correct.
https://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?id=19091

Product Spotlight

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window