where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
langtuteng2
Armenia, Joined Nov 2014, 166

langtuteng2

Armenia,
Joined Nov 2014
08:51 Aug-20-2019
grouping discontinuities for ISO11666
zoom image

hi,everyone! could you tell me for the ISO11666 standard, part 6.4--grouping discontinuities, a group of discontinuities shall be considered as a single one if……
my question is : we can treat a group of discontinuities as a single one when they comply with both of a,b and c simultaneously; or any one of a, b, c?
I think they shall comply with both of a, b, c simultaneously.
tks

Sri Krishna Chaithanya
Sembmarine, Singapore, Joined Sep 2018, 6

Sri Krishna Chaithanya

Sembmarine,
Singapore,
Joined Sep 2018
03:13 Aug-21-2019
Re: grouping discontinuities for ISO11666
In Reply to langtuteng2 at 08:51 Aug-20-2019 (Opening).

Bro,

That A, B, C Cases are individual to each other

a) the distance, dx, is less than twice the length of the longer indication (see Figure 1);
b) the distance, dy, is less than half of the thickness but not more than 10 mm;
c) the distance, dz, is less than half of the thickness but not more than 10 mm.

Ans: They are individual conditions, we have to group the indications if either one case is complied.

If Case A, comply, i.e we have to combine the defects in the X direction (i.e along the weld) and accepteance criteria we have to follow accordingly.

If Case B, C, comply, i.e we have to combine the defects in the Y, Z direction individually (i.e along the weld) and accepteance criteria we have to follow accordingly.

Example for Case B comply: In 40 mm thickness joint we have 2 defects (Acceptance level 2, and Side Drill hole DAC)
P-> index point 20 to 50 mm (Length 30 mm), Depth 18-22 (Ho-10dB<height <Ho-6dB) -> Individually Accepted indication

Q-> Index point 40 to 70 (Length 30 mm), Depth 26-30mm (Ho-10dB<height <Ho-6dB) -> Individually Accepted indication

So this is under Case B, and Depth difference <10 mm (in the Y direcection).... then you have to combine this defects and the overall length will be 20 to 70 and its rejected.

This is the grouping criteria......

I hope your doubt cleared......

Product Spotlight

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window