where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Ultrasonic Sciences Ltd
We specialize in the design and manufacture of automated and semi-automated ultrasonic testing systems, including multi axis, multi channels systems and phased array electronics.
Technical Discussions
Steve K
USA, Joined Aug 2017, 5

Steve K

USA,
Joined Aug 2017
21:02 Aug-21-2019
Flux Flow Coils

I have a customer that's looking into a magnetic wet bench that can conduct multi-directional magnetizations. Instead of using traditional coils he talked about using something called 'flux flow coils'. I've never heard of this before. Can anyone give me more information about this?

George Hopman
Consultant,
NDE Solutions, USA, Joined Apr 2009, 43

George Hopman

Consultant,
NDE Solutions,
USA,
Joined Apr 2009
18:31 Aug-26-2019
Re: Flux Flow Coils
In Reply to Steve K at 21:02 Aug-21-2019 (Opening).

Magwerks out of Indianapolis has the best unit out there. I suggest contacting them.

Rick Lopez
R & D,
John Deere - Moline Technology Innovation Center, USA, Joined Jul 2011, 186

Rick Lopez

R & D,
John Deere - Moline Technology Innovation Center,
USA,
Joined Jul 2011
17:11 Aug-27-2019
In Reply to Steve K at 21:02 Aug-21-2019 (Opening).

Steve,
I first saw this term used in two of Donald Hagemaier's 1991 Materials Evaluation articles where he promoted the use of these, and predicted a future move away from the traditional magnetizing coil when performing multi-directional and 3-D magnetization. Your question indicates how this forecast has fared thus far.

The idea behind them seems relatively simple, as they are coils wrapped around copper-covered laminated steel cores situated at the headstock and tailstock on a wet bench. The claim was that a more consistent longitudinal magnetization was possible across fairly long distances as opposed to more limited distances with a traditional coil. At least a few current vendors offer them as an option, but opinions on maximum length of usefulness seems to vary considerably (range seems to be from 20" up to 48"). I believe there has also been some exploratory work on the effect of having the two flux flow coils working together and opposing each other.

John Brunk
Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 160

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
23:14 Aug-27-2019
In Reply to Rick Lopez at 17:11 Aug-27-2019 .

I have had very good experience with flux flow machines for relatively small parts such as bolts from 0.25” diam, 1” length to 0.75” diam, 8” length. Part I’ve was limited by maximum distance between the contacts.

Product Spotlight

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window