where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.
Technical Discussions
Jignesh Dhimar
NDT Inspector,
LMATS, Australia, Joined Apr 2015, 4

Jignesh Dhimar

NDT Inspector,
LMATS,
Australia,
Joined Apr 2015
07:59 Aug-23-2019
Finding Debonding between composites

Hello All,

Could anyone help me out with below mentioned two different cases

Case I- Sandwich structure made of Carbon Steel (CS-5 mm) + Polyurethane (PU-10 mm) + Carbon Fibre (CF-10mm). is there any practical solution to find debonding(planner or volumetric) between Interface 1(CS-PU) and Interface 2 (PU-CF).
Access for UT from only one side (Carbon steel side)

Case II- Sandwich structure made of CF (15 mm)+ PU(15mm) + CF (10 mm).
Same finding as Case I.
Access from only one side.

Wiesław Bicz
Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o., Poland, Joined Feb 2009, 256

Wiesław Bicz

Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o.,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2009
10:37 Aug-23-2019
Re: Finding Debonding between composites
In Reply to Jignesh Dhimar at 07:59 Aug-23-2019 (Opening).

Immersion or contact testing should be possible in the first case, but it will be necessary to use transducer with quite short pulse and quite sophisticated signal analysis, since the difference between total reflection and transmission into plastic is not very strong and many internal reflexions in steel can be expected.
Second case is more difficult due to the fact, that CF and PU are not very different and CF is quite attenuating. It should work, but requires careful development of suitable procedures.

Anand
India, Joined Jul 2016, 1

Anand

India,
Joined Jul 2016
10:40 Aug-23-2019

Hi,
Myself Anand.

I think UT will work for composites.Based on my work experience I'm telling. But the combination of metal and composites, I am not sure.

Thanks.

Daniel Braun
Daniel Braun
12:49 Aug-23-2019

Generally it is possible, if you have the samples available - you may ship them to Sonotron NDT A-Lab for performing the trials and laying out the necessary setup (instrument, probe, settings) - if you're interesting simply e-mail and we'll proceed further. The service is FOC

Andres Romero
Spain, Joined Jul 2019, 4

Andres Romero

Spain,
Joined Jul 2019
04:26 Aug-24-2019

zoom image
Hello, sorry for my English is not good.
If possible, by immersion. With squirt machine.
Several frequencies are needed.

Product Spotlight

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window