where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Steve K
USA, Joined Aug 2017, 5

Steve K

USA,
Joined Aug 2017
21:02 Aug-21-2019
Flux Flow Coils

I have a customer that's looking into a magnetic wet bench that can conduct multi-directional magnetizations. Instead of using traditional coils he talked about using something called 'flux flow coils'. I've never heard of this before. Can anyone give me more information about this?

George Hopman
Consultant,
NDE Solutions, USA, Joined Apr 2009, 45

George Hopman

Consultant,
NDE Solutions,
USA,
Joined Apr 2009
18:31 Aug-26-2019
Re: Flux Flow Coils
In Reply to Steve K at 21:02 Aug-21-2019 (Opening).

Magwerks out of Indianapolis has the best unit out there. I suggest contacting them.

Rick Lopez
R & D,
John Deere - Moline Technology Innovation Center, USA, Joined Jul 2011, 191

Rick Lopez

R & D,
John Deere - Moline Technology Innovation Center,
USA,
Joined Jul 2011
17:11 Aug-27-2019
In Reply to Steve K at 21:02 Aug-21-2019 (Opening).

Steve,
I first saw this term used in two of Donald Hagemaier's 1991 Materials Evaluation articles where he promoted the use of these, and predicted a future move away from the traditional magnetizing coil when performing multi-directional and 3-D magnetization. Your question indicates how this forecast has fared thus far.

The idea behind them seems relatively simple, as they are coils wrapped around copper-covered laminated steel cores situated at the headstock and tailstock on a wet bench. The claim was that a more consistent longitudinal magnetization was possible across fairly long distances as opposed to more limited distances with a traditional coil. At least a few current vendors offer them as an option, but opinions on maximum length of usefulness seems to vary considerably (range seems to be from 20" up to 48"). I believe there has also been some exploratory work on the effect of having the two flux flow coils working together and opposing each other.

John Brunk
Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 162

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
23:14 Aug-27-2019
In Reply to Rick Lopez at 17:11 Aug-27-2019 .

I have had very good experience with flux flow machines for relatively small parts such as bolts from 0.25” diam, 1” length to 0.75” diam, 8” length. Part I’ve was limited by maximum distance between the contacts.

Product Spotlight

A1525 SOLO

A1525 Solo – the most compact and affordable TMF unit with two phased array transducers and 3D v
isualization and analysis software in standard delivery set. A compact, ergonomic and easy to handheld Phased Array unit based on Total Focusing Method for easy-going imaging of inspection objects with two-dimensional and three-dimensional visualization and evaluation of inspection results.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Micro CT

nanoVoxel series has nano-scale resolution upto 500nm by using high voltage X-ray source (from 80-
300 kV) with micro/nano focal spot and highly sensitive flat panel detectors and unique Optical coupling detector.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window