where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonotron NDT
Original developer and manufacturer of advanced ultrasonic instruments
Technical Discussions
Steve K
USA, Joined Aug 2017, 5

Steve K

USA,
Joined Aug 2017
21:02 Aug-21-2019
Flux Flow Coils

I have a customer that's looking into a magnetic wet bench that can conduct multi-directional magnetizations. Instead of using traditional coils he talked about using something called 'flux flow coils'. I've never heard of this before. Can anyone give me more information about this?

George Hopman
Consultant,
NDE Solutions, USA, Joined Apr 2009, 44

George Hopman

Consultant,
NDE Solutions,
USA,
Joined Apr 2009
18:31 Aug-26-2019
Re: Flux Flow Coils
In Reply to Steve K at 21:02 Aug-21-2019 (Opening).

Magwerks out of Indianapolis has the best unit out there. I suggest contacting them.

Rick Lopez
R & D,
John Deere - Moline Technology Innovation Center, USA, Joined Jul 2011, 191

Rick Lopez

R & D,
John Deere - Moline Technology Innovation Center,
USA,
Joined Jul 2011
17:11 Aug-27-2019
In Reply to Steve K at 21:02 Aug-21-2019 (Opening).

Steve,
I first saw this term used in two of Donald Hagemaier's 1991 Materials Evaluation articles where he promoted the use of these, and predicted a future move away from the traditional magnetizing coil when performing multi-directional and 3-D magnetization. Your question indicates how this forecast has fared thus far.

The idea behind them seems relatively simple, as they are coils wrapped around copper-covered laminated steel cores situated at the headstock and tailstock on a wet bench. The claim was that a more consistent longitudinal magnetization was possible across fairly long distances as opposed to more limited distances with a traditional coil. At least a few current vendors offer them as an option, but opinions on maximum length of usefulness seems to vary considerably (range seems to be from 20" up to 48"). I believe there has also been some exploratory work on the effect of having the two flux flow coils working together and opposing each other.

John Brunk
Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 162

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
23:14 Aug-27-2019
In Reply to Rick Lopez at 17:11 Aug-27-2019 .

I have had very good experience with flux flow machines for relatively small parts such as bolts from 0.25” diam, 1” length to 0.75” diam, 8” length. Part I’ve was limited by maximum distance between the contacts.

Product Spotlight

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

CIVA 2020 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window