where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ZETEC, Inc.
Zetec is a global leader in nondestructive testing (NDT) solutions for the critical inspection needs of industries the world counts on every day, ...
Career Discussions
Jarrod
USA, Joined Aug 2019, 0

Jarrod

USA,
Joined Aug 2019
04:43 May-10-2012
Metal Dusting NDT

I am an electrical engineer currently working in the Defense and Space industry in North Alabama. Last year I was presented with an opportunity to develop an NDT system to address a metal dusting issue that was present in Reformer Tubes. I was initially given a brief overview of the problem that we were trying to address and two small sample tubes approximately 18" long on which base the design/. The two tubes were approximately 6" in diameter and had some major pitting issues with some pits as large as a dime and 1/8" deep or more and I was told that this was due to metal dusting. My role was to develop a prototype system that would detect these issues while my business partner was going to market it to the appropriate people/companies and perform the NDT for those companies. I was able to successfully develop a prototype system using the test pipes including the complete electrical/electronic system that links to a PC as well a rudimentary mechanical system to "hook" to the outside of the tubes for initial testing. Once the prototype was developed and ready for initial testing, my business partner kinda dropped the ball and nothing has happened with it since.

So I say all that to ask if anyone out there has any interest in partnering on a system such as this. As I said, the prototype has been developed and is in hand right now although untested in a "real-world" environment. I do not have contacts in the industry and do not know how I would even go about getting those contacts in order to more fully characterize the prototype and figure out what changes need to be made. I am looking for someone in the U.S. to partner with and would like someone who has quite a bit of experience in the NDT industry, especially metal dusting type issues. I would like someone who can give me an honest assessment of the system and the amount of work that may be out there for a system such as this. An NDA would be required before I will discuss details of the system with anyone. Please contact me if this interests you and you meet the qualifications.

Thanks

BijuSubramaniam
Director,
Bolster Engineering Solutions Pvt Ltd, India, Joined Aug 2014, 1

BijuSubramaniam

Director,
Bolster Engineering Solutions Pvt Ltd,
India,
Joined Aug 2014
16:00 Aug-29-2019
Re: Metal Dusting NDT
In Reply to Jarrod at 04:43 May-10-2012 (Opening).

Dear Mr Jarrod,

Very interesting this got lot of scope in the market.due to high speed carburizing such defects to be analysed prior to putting stage. NDT At preasently available to assess it is through hardness difference and TT where a phenomenon called crow feet like image comes in internal surface of tubes as a premature stage.

What kind of funda you used to assess it.

Still there is no optimized techniques to assess metal dusting so it would be great idea to promote your vision and ideas. This required platform like conference to present your paper.

My number is 00919229214750 from India.

Product Spotlight

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window