where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Nikos Roussos
Greece, Joined Aug 2019, 2

Nikos Roussos

Greece,
Joined Aug 2019
21:33 Sep-01-2019
PAUT inspection of thick welds
zoom image

weld

Dear experts,
I‘ve been asked if I can inspect properly welded pipes with thickness of 90mm.
The equipment that I have is a Sonatest Prisma 16:64 with X3-PE-5.0M64E0.6P 64 element probe. I will also use a weld scanner from Phoenix.
Do you think my equipment is capable of giving me reliable results in such thick welds with the geometry shown in the figure? Do you think I should get a sensor with less frequency (2,25 or 3,5 MHz)?
Additional to PAUT inspection I will also perform TOFD, but my main concerns are for the PAUT.

Creed
NDT Inspector,
n.n., Joined Jul 2009, 33

Creed

NDT Inspector,
n.n.,
Joined Jul 2009
06:15 Sep-02-2019
Re: PAUT inspection of thick welds
In Reply to Nikos Roussos at 21:33 Sep-01-2019 (Opening).

First of all, the inspection should be performed following the standard and acceptance criteria or your company procedure writing; follow the standard, I am pretty sure you will have the answer YES or NO for your question.
My opinion you need to conduct the inspection with multi scans to cover entire the weld body, however based on the sketch of weld configuration the bevel angle should be concerned as a limitation, due to oriental of the fusion face defects wouldn't give the good refection with the PAUT sectorial beam.

Elias Campanario
Engineering,
Tecnicas Reunidas, Spain, Joined Oct 2013, 3

Elias Campanario

Engineering,
Tecnicas Reunidas,
Spain,
Joined Oct 2013
10:22 Sep-02-2019

Dear Nikos;

Regarding your question, in my opinion, the best solution in your case would be to combine inspection by ToFD and PAUT.

In any case, you should make a mock up with notches in the welding bevel, in which to test the scan plan that you generate for the inspection.

As for the PAUT probes, maybe for that thickness you need a 3.5 or 2.25 MHz probe.
With the 5MHz probe, maybe you to have a lot of noise at great depth.

I hope I've helped.

Ali
NDT Inspector,
Iran, Joined Mar 2013, 105

Ali

NDT Inspector,
Iran,
Joined Mar 2013
15:39 Sep-02-2019

this bevel configuration is not suitable for PAUT Sectorial scan but you can apply Tofd for better detection of side wall defect.If you have access to inside of vessel,perform Tofd and PAUT scan from out side and inside ( only half skip for PAUT) .this technique will reduce tofd dead zone only in backwall area and for PAUT will reduce sound path and increase signal to nois ratio in half skip instead of full skip scan.
Hope material grains is fine and surface is not wrought for PAUT and Tofd inspection.

laurie
Australia, Joined Feb 2019, 34

laurie

Australia,
Joined Feb 2019
02:35 Sep-03-2019

If you're going to be doing more of this type of work I'd suggest your boss might have to stump up for some simulation software.

Use a simulator like UTMan which from memory is something like 100 Euro and does manual UT, TOFD and AUT.
http://www.utsim.co.uk/index.html

If you have a couple of thousand dollars then Beamtools will do everything and also has sectorial beamset beam energy display which would be a big help for your long beam paths.
https://www.eclipsescientific.com/beamtool.html

There are lots of others including Olympus NDT SetupBuilder
https://www.olympus-ims.com/en/omniscan-software/#!cms[tab]=%2Fomniscan-software%2Fndt-setupbuilder

Product Spotlight

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window