where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Career Discussions
GHANTA SIVA RAJESH
, QA/QC Technical Manager
ADNOC, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Joined Oct 2011, 28

GHANTA SIVA RAJESH

ADNOC,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Oct 2011
02:22 Mar-02-2013
UT Level III EXAM EXPERIENCE

My UT Level III Exam experience

Dear all,

I would like to share my UT Level exam experience

First and foremost, I prepared for PAUT and TOFD, unfortunately there is no Questions on it
Second important thing, there are many question on Composites, mostly on scanning technique for Composites
As usual many question of Immersion testing including Eco’s identification on the screen
I am from oil and gas field , doing UT for Welding all the Time, but in Exam Paper there was not many question on UT for welding whereas Most of the questions are from Forging( around 7to 8)
In that only on the forging burst there was at least 5 questions including how the defect look like in UT Screen, How do you scan for Forging Burst(circumferential or axial or something Like That )

There are few questions on casting defects as well such as porosity
After came back from exam , I heighted the question and problems which I encountered in the exam

There were almost 25 questions on calculations and there is problem on each and every basic formula
Including tandem techniques, offset for immersion testing of pipes,
Like X=(T-D)tanϴ

There are some general questions which are based on commonsense

As usual there are many question on relationship between variables such as frequency, probe dia , pulse length Etc.

The procedure is AWS D1.1 , 2 tables but the scanning severity is something new

If you see addendum title, in your procedure, please look at it carefully, in my case , they have given some calibration procedure in the procedure and it was changes in the addendum, the same changes were asked in the exam
The procedure is rather lengthy, almost 15 pages, I dint read it fully and I don’t recommend it even, unless if you have plenty of time
There are less than 10 questions on the procedure, remaining are direct referring to some fig or table in the procedure

Lastly there were some basic formula given in the reference book, but I sincerely recommend all of you to memories formula

I hope this info will be useful to you, if you need any further details you may contact me at
gsivarajesh@yahoo.co.in
or
0065 81220922

enaghmedshaban
Engineering,
Gulf Engieering House, Saudi Arabia, Joined Feb 2013, 2

enaghmedshaban

Engineering,
Gulf Engieering House,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Feb 2013
06:27 Mar-02-2013
Re: UT Level III EXAM EXPERIENCE
In Reply to GHANTA SIVA RAJESH at 02:22 Mar-02-2013 (Opening).

i agree with you Mr. SIVA , UT exam has no any relation in our oil and gas field , ASNT should change this paper to actualy field or at least provide siutable materilas like ( composite scan ,immersion testing , automatic UT ) this techniquies we are not using in our UT maethod .also there are no any study materials on this parts the most common is contact shear wave techique .

best of like

Ed T.
Other, ASNT Level III, UT, RT, MT, PT, VT
NDT Level III, Saudi Arabia, Joined Sep 2011, 169

Ed T.

Other, ASNT Level III, UT, RT, MT, PT, VT
NDT Level III,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Sep 2011
07:59 Mar-02-2013
In Reply to enaghmedshaban at 06:27 Mar-02-2013 .

The Level III exam is not geared towads a specific industry. It is geared towards a variety of UT knowledge.
There is no need to memorize the formulae. They give them to you. All you need to know is which formula to apply.
ASNT doesn't even acknowledge PAUT or ToFD for that exam. They know that is a specialized field.
Yes there aree alot of questions on composites. That's because alot of people who take the exam work in the aerospace indusry.That's what the Study Guides are for. To tell you what to study.

Oliviero
Oliviero
21:07 Mar-03-2013
In Reply to Ed T. at 07:59 Mar-02-2013 .

I agree completely with Ed

somnath
Engineering,
India, Joined Aug 2013, 2

somnath

Engineering,
India,
Joined Aug 2013
04:06 Feb-15-2014
In Reply to Oliviero at 21:07 Mar-03-2013 .

i also agree with ed..

Ghanta Siva Rajesh
Ghanta Siva Rajesh
11:47 Jul-11-2014

guys

if anybody looking for NDT Level III material I can help you out

its for free. no any fee. I know how difficult it is to get the right material

mail me at gsivarajesh@yahoo.co.in

I will share my personal experience further if you need

Chakaravarthy.C
Engineering, Quality Assurance
Singapore, Joined Mar 2015, 2

Chakaravarthy.C

Singapore,
Joined Mar 2015
16:02 Jul-02-2015

Hi All,

I just had my ASNT Level III exam and successfully got passed. I would like to share some of my experience here. I have received most of the questions from angle beam testing, immersion technique, welding, castings, forgings (mainly on defect identification), pulse rate (PPS), resonance testing etc. There were few questions (around 5 to 6 questions) from instruments. I did not have many questions from composites.

Most of the questions were on identifying the welding a defects based on metal path distance. Time management is very important and it is recommended to practice more problems. Because while practicing the numerical problems, you will automatically learn the concepts. UT is more about concepts and questions are framed to roam around the concepts only.

I am from Aerospace industry and we don't very frequently use UT for welding. But I have received decent number of questions from welding. I have got around 8 questions from procedures (with AWS D1.1 table), so it is also advisable to be very familiar with AWS D1.1 for UT testing.

Hope this helps for newbies!! Thank you

Chakaravarthy.C
Singapore, Joined Mar 2015, 2

Chakaravarthy.C

Singapore,
Joined Mar 2015
04:28 Jul-03-2015
Rajesh bro, thanks for ur guidance. Your study materials helped me a lot. Credits goes to you only. Thanks

GHNATA SIVA RAJESH

GHNATA SIVA RAJESH

ADNOC,
Joined Oct 2011
18:31 Aug-22-2015

I can say MT and basic are easy compared to others
And I recommend you to practice lot of questions, many times before going for exam
In the exam paper there will be some level 1 questions and some level ii questions, combined to gather 40 to 50 present
Remaining 50 % is level iii and is tough
Coming to basic please read SNTC 10 times at least
The latest version 2011
And if possible also read interpretation of SNTC TC 1A
I can say 40 % question from this SNTC TC 1A and CP 196

Every single line is a question read like that in SNTC
Coming to heat treatment and others you should have a basic knowledge

Level iii is not a joke, you are eligible to train people and manage them so you have to be a master
And based on your decision and judgement many equipment has to operate. Safety of people and Value of assets are in your hand
So try to study MATERIALS AND PROCESSES and if any additional l material available
If possible I send something
MT, the book is enough, but you have to practice many questions
For UT and RT, the ASNT Guide is big joke
It nowhere related to original exam
you have to study Codec book for RT
For UT, I didn’t find any perfect single book
Try to read the material I sent to you much many times
And as usual practice thousands of questions
Don’t be panic in exam; as long as you can score enough to pass, it is ok

Don’t spend time on tough questions, just move on
And it is not an impossible task
but UT is really really challenging Final word is I recommend you to go for PCN
ASNT is a sinking ship and no value
I will send you the details of my material in another personal email

Raja
Raja
09:29 Dec-04-2015
In Reply to GHNATA SIVA RAJESH at 18:31 Aug-22-2015 .

Hi Sivarajesh, Iam planning to take UT L3 in 2016. Can help me to send some material and Q&A please. also can share on how to do the preparations.
thanks in advance.

Ghanta Siva Rajesh

Ghanta Siva Rajesh

ADNOC,
Joined Oct 2011
14:32 Mar-07-2016

common questions about ASNT level iii exam from some one

1. please give me advice about BASIC exam preparation how & what book refer for exam.....I have CP189, SNT-TC-1A 2006 & basic study book. Second edition...  ....in this section how many question cover..... 

Good that you wanted to be Level III, appreciate your idea

If you don’t mind let me advice you some thing else

ASNT is loosing demand and I don’t know where it will end up in future
There are lot of fake level III s in the market due to poor examination management by ASNT

So better try EN473 or PCN Level III etc. if you have chance. If no other option ASNT is the last best

Coming to your question

SNTC-TC-1A carries lot of weight , I can roughly say every line is a question so prepare like that

And read it at least 10 times

But most of the times, you may still make mistakes

So better read interpretation of SNTC TC 1A

It will give you clear picture of what SNTC is really talking about, so will be easy for you in the exam

Then practice is the key for level III, for that mater for any exam
Do as many questions as you can

Not in hundreds but at least in thousands
Gather some questions from all around and practice it. Some NDT methods are easy compared to others but practice makes you reach the goal

Then CP 189

There are questions from CP 189

Not very sure of how many etc., but not to worry about it. The important point is you need to focus on books according to its weightage

So in my opinion CP189 is not in the spotlight but still need to read it

Then comes to materials and processing of metals

You need to know what are the different manufacturing techniques like forging, casting, extrusion, welding and heat treatment as well and also different material and defects occurring on those process

So read the ASNT book, it is good I can say, but don’t just depend on it purely,
if you gone though these topics in your earlier education, just refer back to them to quickly understand

Then other NDT methods

Mainly questions come form 4 NDT methods , their advantages, disadvantages, applications, drawbacks etc.,

Other methods prepare roughly, have an idea about what it is, where is it mostly used etc. and up to you, as much as you can read

This is about basic exam

It is not easy but not difficult as well, all is in your preparation

2. Secondly, I have PT,MT,RT,UT good knowledge, so another method how many question cover & where (book name) refer to batter study for another method..... if you have any material about basic than provide me.......

I will email you my drop box details so that you can see the books there

3. Third,about material production which book i refer....if you have any than help me....& how many question cover in this part..... 

Same as above, questions some people say 45 from codes, 45 from NDT and 45 from materials …I don’t know, it may be very rough estimate

4.  forth...i planning UT,MT two exam so only UT,MT ASNT study book are sufficient........or not...if than how many question cover from study book.....  

Thank you in advance...
                I waiting your positive response.....

UT and MT …
MT the book is fairly enough as per my knowledge provided you have gone though lot of practice

UT..i don’t know the latest revision, but earlier revision was the useless book

It wont help you in any why

It is not at all enough to cover even 25% of question

So don’t depend on it and no where it will give you the insight of re

Mukesh Jindal
Mukesh Jindal
12:50 Oct-13-2016

Dear Sir

Thank you for your valuable support in finding the material to prepare Level-III exam.
I shall be in contact for clarification of doubt if any.

With best regards

Carlos Gongora
Carlos Gongora
16:29 Dec-05-2016
In Reply to Ghanta Siva Rajesh at 11:47 Jul-11-2014 .

Hello Mr. Siva:
I tried to take my Level III UT. I know you have a lot of experience. And may be you can help me about the study material and your suggestions. I work in Houston Texas USA. I do PAUT weld inspection on pipes.

Thank you very much in advance

Carlos Gongora

ghantasivarajesh@yahoo.co.in
ghantasivarajesh@yahoo.co.in
08:49 Apr-02-2018

you may find NDT study material in Dropbox with user id as
gsivarajesh@gmail.com
Password:654321

ndt
ndt
07:27 Apr-07-2018
In Reply to ghantasivarajesh@yahoo.co.in at 08:49 Apr-02-2018 .

Ghanta Siva Rajesh,

Are you out of your mind. You are distributing the material which are pirated. Hope you will learn the lesson now as I deleted all the files from your dropbox.

Don't support piracy offshore you have to shred some amount on the books otherwise nobody is going to publish good books.

ghantasivarajesh

ghantasivarajesh

ADNOC,
Joined Oct 2011
07:42 Apr-07-2018
In Reply to ndt at 07:27 Apr-07-2018 .

thank you

BALAKRISHNA
BALAKRISHNA
12:08 Apr-19-2018
In Reply to ghantasivarajesh at 07:42 Apr-07-2018 .

hi sir help me to take level-3 exam with your valuable suggestions.i have already sent you a mail.please kindly respond.thank you

XIAOWEI
Engineering,
UniSA, Singapore, Joined Jun 2018, 10

XIAOWEI

Engineering,
UniSA,
Singapore,
Joined Jun 2018
14:56 Jul-29-2018

Hi Mr. Siva, I have sent you an email and whatsapp but no reply, can you advice how I should reach you? thanks.

murugesan
NDT Inspector
India, Joined Dec 2008, 1

murugesan

NDT Inspector
India,
Joined Dec 2008
03:46 Dec-29-2018
In Reply to XIAOWEI at 14:56 Jul-29-2018 .

Dear Sir,

I have a plan to write ASNT Level 3 examination. Could you please advise me? How to prepare? what are the codes to be read? Could you have question and answer? could you please mail me? murugeshtnj5@gmail.com ( whats app +971 603 6567).
Thank you in advance. MURUGESAN

Namdev patil
Namdev patil
17:56 Oct-05-2019

Sir,
I have E-mailed you. Plz share your experience and material of UT level III.
Thank you

Product Spotlight

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window