where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Rod
Rod
02:26 Oct-18-2019
MT Terminology

I have come across an oversight MT report that mentions a rejectable inspection due to "Walking the dog". Im familiar with the terminology but have not seen this terminology in any publications or NDT books. What is "Walking the Dog".

laurie
Australia, Joined Feb 2019, 28

laurie

Australia,
Joined Feb 2019
09:20 Oct-21-2019
Re: MT Terminology
In Reply to Rod at 02:26 Oct-18-2019 (Opening).

Pretty sure this is where the legs are lifted one after the other on either side of the weld to "walk" the yoke at 45 degrees along the weld.

Walking the yoke would only test at one orientation for each area so each successive area is "blind" to defects at 90 degrees to the alternating leg orientation of 45 and 135 degrees at each step.

In addition leg orientation is supposed to be at 90 degrees to the expected orientation of defects and then at 90 degrees.
Since most defects are expected to be along the toe of the weld or transverse, walking at 45 degrees does not achieve the best magnetisation for either of these directions.

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 850

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
01:02 Oct-22-2019
Re: MT Terminology
In Reply to laurie at 09:20 Oct-21-2019 .

Laurie my friend, I most disagree with you on a few points.

Although I never heard the term walking the dog, I am familiar with the procedure where each yoke leg is moved alternately (walked) along the weld. It is true that the best indication will be given when the magnetic field is 90 degrees to the indication. But, one as to remember that there is an area of no inspection with the yoke. This area is equal to 15 degrees (30 degrees total) on either side of the magnetic field main axis. This is the reason we do inspect part with two magnetic fields at 90 degrees from each other. The inspection pattern will resemble a shoe laced.

In the case of inspection with a yoke, one can walk the legs and skipping an area of inspection. This area will be inspection on the return back to the original start point. As well, each area of inspection (in the same axis) should be overlaped by at least 10 percent and that also hold true for the opposite axis. This way, the weld will be inspected in its entirety.

In closing, I would like to add that if you find that is of concern, nothing is stopping you from inspecting the area in another axis.

Product Spotlight

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window