where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonotron NDT
Original developer and manufacturer of advanced ultrasonic instruments
Technical Discussions
Carlos A. Galán
NDT Inspector,
UIS - Universidad Industrial de Santander, Colombia, Joined Oct 2014, 31

Carlos A. Galán

NDT Inspector,
UIS - Universidad Industrial de Santander,
Colombia,
Joined Oct 2014
03:08 Nov-27-2019
panametrics videoscan tranducers

Hello everyone,

the parametrics shear wave transducer shown in photo works in pulse-echo mode or transmission through

thanks

Carlos A. Galán
NDT Inspector,

Carlos A. Galán

NDT Inspector,
Colombia,
Joined Oct 2014
03:16 Nov-27-2019
Re: panametrics videoscan tranducers
In Reply to Carlos A. Galán at 03:08 Nov-27-2019 (Opening).

Download transducer

https://www.olympus-ims.com/en/ultrasonic-transducers/shear-wave/

Paul
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 200

Paul

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
19:41 Nov-27-2019
In Reply to Carlos A. Galán at 03:16 Nov-27-2019 .

Hi Carlos,

It's just a transducer, it does whatever you hook it up for. It vibrates and you can choose to catch the echo with the same transducer, or plug in another one and do through transmission. The world is your oyster!

-P

Edward Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1282

Edward Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
21:21 Nov-27-2019
In Reply to Carlos A. Galán at 03:16 Nov-27-2019 .

Carlos, you have already asked about this probe in March of this year (https://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?admin=&forenID=0&msgID=74401&rootID=74324#74401)
As Paul noted, it can be used as any probe; but I told you in March that it was probably useful for some civil engineering applications. I suggested you need to use honey as a couplant and Anmol Birring recommended boiled (thick) molasses.
Since it is a normal incidence shear wave probe you will not likely be using on to generate angled beams.

Carlos Andrés Galán
NDT Inspector,

Carlos Andrés Galán

NDT Inspector,
Colombia,
Joined Oct 2014
03:38 Nov-28-2019
In Reply to Edward Ginzel at 21:21 Nov-27-2019 .

Hi Edward

I used transverse olympus wave couplant and I tried in omniscan and krautkramer usm equipment in pulse-echo mode for different thicknesses and lengths of shafts in steel and concrete cylinders and
I don't get a signal in any way, I've tried two equal transducers, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

On an shaft of 2 inches in diameter and 19 cm long in AISI/SAE 1020 steel I reach for a minimum echo but it is almost confused with noise!

Thanks

Edward Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1282

Edward Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
13:10 Nov-28-2019
In Reply to Carlos Andrés Galán at 03:38 Nov-28-2019 .

Carlos, perhaps it is the instrument that is not adequate. Most of our ultrasonic instruments are intended for weld inspections or simple corrosion tests in steel or aluminium. They are made with a pulser that is tuneable and a receiver bandwidth only for probes between about 1MHz and 10MHz.
If you tried this probe on an Omniscan or USM it would not provide a good transfer of the pulse to the element nor would there be much frequency component in the 1-10MHz region that the instrument is designed for.
It is possible to build a basic low frequency system with a signal generator and suitable receiver amplifiers.

John Norman
Consultant, owner of business
NTS Ultrasonics Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Oct 2012, 114

John Norman

Consultant, owner of business
NTS Ultrasonics Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Oct 2012
01:36 Nov-29-2019
In Reply to Carlos Andrés Galán at 03:38 Nov-28-2019 .

Hi Carlos.

Ed is correct in that most common UT equipment will not work well at 0.25 MHz, which is the operating frequency of your transducer. You will be at the lower limit or outside of the UT set bandwidth. In my experience, you also get a lower echo amplitude from a shear wave probe, even with an appropriate couplant. Add these two effects together and you would not expect to get a strong response from the transducer using a conventional UT set.
What can you do? You could try different equipment with a suitable frequency response. In my case, I always used in-house designed and built instruments for lower frequency work, but this option may not be available to you.
A trick that some UT techs used to use many years ago, was to place a low value inductor in parallel or series with the transducer they were using to try and "peak" the response. It involves a bit of trial and error. I do not suggest you open up a modern UT set and start soldering in inductors. This is a very bad idea and you would void your warranty. However, you can purchase small component boxes that connect into coaxial cable, and you can experiment with the inductors using one of these. It might help. Inductors with low uH values are what seemed to work in the past.
John Norman

Product Spotlight

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window