where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TecScan Systems
We offer a complete line of NDT scanners, Immersion Tanks & Gantry systems which incorporate Ultrasonic, Phased Array & Eddy Current technologies.
Technical Discussions
langtuteng2
Armenia, Joined Nov 2014, 196

langtuteng2

Armenia,
Joined Nov 2014
03:05 Dec-04-2019
which one should we use
zoom image

hello! for Omniscan SX, there are 3 kinds of law configuration, angular sector, linear sector and compound sector. i found the compound sector also provides multiple angle scan, just as the angular sector. which one shall we use, for angular sector and compound sector? because, when i use the compound sector, the defect also can be found and the offset is not static. I can use offset 1, offset 2 and offset 3, they all can find the defect. so i think compound sector is more useful than angular sector. Am i right?

Matthias Dreifeld
NDT Inspector, CEO
Dreifeld Materialprüftechnik, Germany, Joined Sep 2005, 101

Matthias Dreifeld

NDT Inspector, CEO
Dreifeld Materialprüftechnik,
Germany,
Joined Sep 2005
13:29 Dec-04-2019
Re: which one should we use
In Reply to langtuteng2 at 03:05 Dec-04-2019 (Opening).

I see your posts regularly asking trivial question, which is fine, but you really should attend a proper training course for PAUT!

To answer your question: I can't answer it. Nobody can, unless you tell people what you want to inspect. Hint: You could get this information from your test procedure ;)

langtuteng2
Armenia, Joined Nov 2014, 196

langtuteng2

Armenia,
Joined Nov 2014
16:40 Dec-04-2019
In Reply to Matthias Dreifeld at 13:29 Dec-04-2019 .

thanks.
I attended PAUT course before, but I found my tutor couldn't answer my confusion, even though he was qualified as PCN PAUT level III. I remembered one situation: he gave us a presentation on how to character the defect, at the end of class, he said character the defect was not very accurate and sometimes, you can evaluate the defect as slag, or crack, maybe both of them are right. I also found, UT is not a very useful method to character defect. So, even though I pass the PAUT training, there is still a lot of question confused me.
compound sector and angular sector both work. when we have to prepare for PAUT procedure, we have to take into consideration which one is better. which is more efficient?

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 218

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
21:06 Dec-04-2019
In Reply to langtuteng2 at 16:40 Dec-04-2019 .

Compound sectorial is more efficient, because it combines a regular sectorial with a linear sweep. You get more bang for your buck with a compound.

In practical terms, it's useful only if you are using probes with more than 16 elements. 16 should be the minimum number of elements you use (usually, I guess... unless your circumstances are really weird and specialized). So if you have a probe like a 5L64-A12 plugged into your SX, then a compound scan is great, because you can use it to slide the exit point of the high angle beams way up to the front of the probe and really get to the root. Just use the beam plotting on the SX screen and it will show you the effect.

Product Spotlight

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

A1525 SOLO

A1525 Solo – the most compact and affordable TMF unit with two phased array transducers and 3D v
isualization and analysis software in standard delivery set. A compact, ergonomic and easy to handheld Phased Array unit based on Total Focusing Method for easy-going imaging of inspection objects with two-dimensional and three-dimensional visualization and evaluation of inspection results.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window