where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Mario Talarico
NDT Inspector,
Italy, Joined May 2010, 423

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
19:42 Dec-05-2019
PT electrostatic developer

Does anyone have experience with the PT electrostatic method?
Is practicable the use of aqueous and non-aqueous developer?
In case of non-aqueous developer, there are safety risks due to involuntary electrostatic discharge?
Thanks so much.
Greetings.
Mario

Simon Thanh
Vietnam, Joined Feb 2019, 2

Simon Thanh

Vietnam,
Joined Feb 2019
05:17 Dec-06-2019
Re: PT electrostatic developer
In Reply to Mario Talarico at 19:42 Dec-05-2019 (Opening).

Hi Mario,
For PT electrostatic method, we use dry developer for fluorescent penetration liquid. The Non-aqueous developer are used for confirming indication only.
And about your concern, Spray system are supplied, the manufacture equipped electric anti-shock.

Mario Talarico
NDT Inspector,

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
16:03 Dec-06-2019
In Reply to Simon Thanh at 05:17 Dec-06-2019 .

Simon,
in my case I would have doubts about going to a control with dray developer: there are prejudices about its detection capability, included in some rules, and I have to take this into account.
My final goal would be to go through feasibility of a spray non-aqueus color contrast developer. Looking at the manufacturers I have not found specific non-aqueous (or aqueous) products recommended for spray applications. However, considering the extreme development and the attention in the painting field - where this technique comes from - , I had an idea that a correct product-gun combination (system in general) would be a critical aspect.
I realized that you use a circuit with a non-aqueous fluorescent developer for confirmation of indications; do you have perhaps developed some ideas about the above mentioned compatibility between spray systems and products.
Greetings
Mario

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 868

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
04:09 Dec-07-2019
In Reply to Mario Talarico at 16:03 Dec-06-2019 .

Mario, I believe the electrostatic system for the dry powder developer is used for very large parts to prevent the powder from being blown everywhere. Problem that doesn't exist with a wet developer (aquous/non-aquous) because they are in a wet environment.
A for your concern regarding the dry powder developer, you have to be careful in regards to the static electricy. This is why the system should be properly grounded.
As for compatibility between the products, you should contact your supplier of PT products. They may also have a sheet to hepl you decide which products are compatible.
I worked at a client where they bought the developer in dry bulk form and mix them with a non aquous solution. Once mixed, they would use a paint sprayer connected to an air gun. This setup requires more test to ensure the chemicals are optimum, but it works very well and way cheaper than the spray cans.

Mario Talarico
NDT Inspector,

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
15:47 Dec-07-2019
In Reply to Michel Couture at 04:09 Dec-07-2019 .

Michel,
my interest in electrostatic spray has slightly different reasons: as soon as the product comes out of the nozzle gun, it advances and expands under the action of the propulsive force of the pressure in the circuit; at a certain moment, the force of attraction between the particles and the piece grounded - of opposite polarity - comes into play and the particles are attracted to the piece. The amount of product spilled is lower than a normal spray; should improve coverage; reduced accumulations and sagging, especially where operator control is not possible.

Your experience gives me courage somehow about what I had somehow already perceived by myself: the need of an important work of fine-tuning for the right combination of product and spray system. In the painting field they know something about it: by abstracting from pressure, type of product and mixture, speed of movement and distance of the gun, etc., only for the nozzlee gun, we have 40 type-codes ...

Many thanks for the valuable feed-back.
Greetings.
Mario

Product Spotlight

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

CIVA 2020 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window