where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
ahmed
Saudi Arabia, Joined Dec 2019, 3

ahmed

Saudi Arabia,
Joined Dec 2019
21:01 Dec-07-2019
Inspection of ss welds using manual UT calibrated on cs blocks?

Hello gentlemen,

I have a few questions about doing manual ultrasonic testing on ss material and other inspection situations.
1. Can i do an angle beam calibration by 2 Mhz probe or other frequences with CS V2 block and doing DAC on an ss block while my target is to insect ss weld?
2. If my first question is not possible an i think it is not what steps should i do and is there is special probe and specific Mhz for it?
3. Can i do an inspection of weld of cs with cladding of ss while all my calibration is done on the cs V2 block and cs DAC block ? eg, 25mm cs and 3mm cladding.
4. If all shear wave inspection of welds with ss and calibrated on cs is not valid can i do the same procedure for normal 0 degree and have it works?
5. in case if i don't have any ss block can i perform all my calibration on cs and only do the change on velocity to do the job?

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 776

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
21:12 Dec-07-2019
Re: Inspection of ss welds using manual UT calibrated on cs blocks?
In Reply to ahmed at 21:01 Dec-07-2019 (Opening).

You cannot use a CS DAC block and inspect CS weld with SS cladding.

ahmed
Saudi Arabia, Joined Dec 2019, 3

ahmed

Saudi Arabia,
Joined Dec 2019
20:54 Dec-08-2019
In Reply to Anmol Birring at 21:12 Dec-07-2019 .

thanks for your reply MR. Anmol Birring i am one of your followers on youtube and i learned so much from you. okay then you mean i can do a calibration on cs v2 block then my DAC on ss block and then only i can perform the test on cladding? or i must have all calibration blocks as ss material only? and do you have any ideas about my other questions please?

Anmol Birring
Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc., USA, Joined Aug 2011, 776

Anmol Birring

Consultant,
Birring NDE Center, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Aug 2011
11:21 Dec-09-2019
In Reply to ahmed at 20:54 Dec-08-2019 .

DAC block should be same as your test material. That is CS block with SS clad.

Product Spotlight

TraiNDE UT

TraiNDE UT is a virtual tool associated with a signal database which simulates real inspection con
ditions for numerous applications (Type A/V1 block, DAC block, welds and plates).
>

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window