where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Ankit Doshi
Ankit Doshi
08:10 Dec-09-2019
EPOCH650 olympus VS USM36GE

Hello

We are steel casting company at india , steel castings which we make are relatively critical

We are in need of a UT machine , which is more accurate , and more technically precise and advance. We have to choose from EPOCH 650 olympus and USM36 GE

There is a little price difference which is acceptable to us , difference of after sales service is also acceptable to us

Accuracy of the result and any major changes in features are our decesion making points ,

please inform if someone has experience of using both machines

Manjamalai
NDT Inspector, NDT Instructor,Inspector
Ganesha Quality Services, India, Joined Oct 2015, 8

Manjamalai

NDT Inspector, NDT Instructor,Inspector
Ganesha Quality Services,
India,
Joined Oct 2015
10:32 Dec-09-2019
Re: EPOCH650 olympus VS USM36GE
In Reply to Ankit Doshi at 08:10 Dec-09-2019 (Opening).

Dear sir
I have 10 years experience in NDT and I can handle all type of Equipment.
Kindly tell me location and type of job etc.

Regards
Manjamalai

J.B.
J.B.
16:18 Dec-09-2019
In Reply to Manjamalai at 10:32 Dec-09-2019 .

Usually there is no big difference in the essential characteristics if you look to specs requested by interntional standards. Both companies design their equipment to meet all relevant standards - I guess this is also verlid to other major companies like Sonatest, Sonotron, EddyFi/M2M, ...)
From my past experience you have more to check which userinterface fits better to the previous experience of your inspectors. I know from the past, that people used to Krautkramer/GR equipment did not like the menu structure provided by Olympus/Panametrics, where as Sonotron copied the Krautkramer style. Sonatest had its own. Other companies with less market distribution also sometimes kept their GUI close to one of the major companies.
My advice would be: Try it out.

Visakh chandran
Engineering,
Brahmos Aerospace Tvpm. Ltd., India, Joined Dec 2013, 11

Visakh chandran

Engineering,
Brahmos Aerospace Tvpm. Ltd.,
India,
Joined Dec 2013
23:42 Dec-10-2019
In Reply to Ankit Doshi at 08:10 Dec-09-2019 (Opening).

Both the parties are good competitors.the major difference comes in the bulkness of the machine.Performance wise both are same.GE make would be light in weight,portable and easy to handle,but the other one is heavy and robust to handle. On the con side GE machine is more fragile to rough usage.

Sudheer Jai Krishnan Sasidharan
Other,
Olympus, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Joined Sep 2018, 28

Sudheer Jai Krishnan Sasidharan

Other,
Olympus,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Sep 2018
09:48 Dec-11-2019
In Reply to Visakh chandran at 23:42 Dec-10-2019 .

Hello Visakh

I would rather request you to try an Epoch 650 as it seems that you haven't used one ? The weight of an Epoch 650 is 1.6Kg including the Li-Ion Battery and the weight of USM36 is 2.2 Kg including the battery.

Square wave pulser is a standard item in the Epoch 650 and can generally offer greater energy output from a given transducer

DAC/DGS/AWS software options are provided as a standard feature in 650

Battery operating time will be 12+ Hours which is more than sufficient

Also J.B specified that the UI was not good in the past, but then hearing the feedback from our customers, we have changed the UI from the Epoch 600 onwards which you will agree, J.B

And a lot more to say .....

Ask for a demo of both the units and then you will decide which one to go for Ankit :-)

Product Spotlight

Customized Probes and Transducers

With a strong development department and our own piezocomposite production, we accompany you from th
e first product idea to serial production. Our scientists are continuously researching new methods in the field of ultrasonic measurement technology. The progress achieved enables us to offer you optimal solutions.
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window